Just Dreaming | Teen Ink

Just Dreaming

By I-am-a-young-author SILVER, Madison, Wisconsin
I-am-a-young-author SILVER, Madison, Wisconsin

"Life is too short to be normal. Stay weird."

I closed my eyes, not sleeping, just dreaming. I saw myself, flying in a plane, no, flying the plane. I was the pilot. The small plane rushed against the wind, making it look easy to soar. I heard the flight attendents giving out food to the passengers. I kept my eyes on the controls, flying. I was flying.

“Kate! Kate!” I was awoken by my teacher, it was my turn to read my report. Oh no. I didn’t have one.

“M’am, I need to go to the bathroom first, it’s an emergency.” I was excused. Just 4 minutes until 3rd period is over. I sat on the toilet, not doing anything. I closed my eyes.

I was sitting down on a chair, a white strand of hair falling into my face, blocking my view of the book I was reading. I pushed it behind my ear. A man came walking onto the porch, I got up and hugged him. He started playing music, and pulled me into a slow waltz. I loved this man.

The bell signaling the break rang, it was like music to my ears. Ahhhh...

I emerged from the stall, walking toward the exit. Only 4 more periods. Only 4 more hours. My teacher appeared in front of me, saying nothing, yet I felt there was something she was trying to get across with the look she gave me. Return it tomorrow, I know you didn’t do it. Yup, that’s what it is.

I sat down eating my home lunch. I looked at those at my table. There was Martha, there was Earl, there was Mary. Oh who am I kidding! My only friends are empty seats! I buried my head in my arms, and I closed my eyes. I dreamed.

I was in a tight, mermaid style dress that made me feel like a Barbie doll. Ugh, so stereotypical! The blue, silky, creamy fabric of the dress rubbed against a man.  I was holding his arm. He looked at me fondly, then pulled me in close, dipped me, and gave me a kiss on the lips. Oh, I felt like fainting. But somehow, I managed to get back up. Once again, he pulled me in close, not to kiss, but to waltz. I wonder, is it him?

Next bell, 5th period, let’s go. Math. Phew! I brought my homework for this. I turned it in, and the class went by in a daze. 6th period, okey dokey.

Music. I sat at the piano eagerly waiting to brush my fingers against the keys. The class arrives slowly, until every instrument has a player. The teacher steps forward, and begins conducting. The music is beautiful, and everyone in the room finishes, but I am still playing. They look at me, tears filling their eyes, loving the music.

“Kate!” The teacher shouts. “Can’t you see we’re asking YOU for the answer?!” I feel like shrinking into nothing, or becoming an imaginary chair friend.

“Could you repeat it please?”

“Fine. 1258E=”

“Oh,” I said. “1258.”

“Correct.”

Feeling pleased, I drifted off, dreaming.

The bell rang, Mr. Kravitz hurriedly explained our homework. I rushed off to music, jealousy looking at the piano. I took my seat at the triangle. When the teacher started I was on perfect beat. I was proud. The minute I got home I downloaded a learn piano app. It helped, by the end of the day I had learned 7 songs, Mary had a little lamb, Row, row, row your boat, Chopsticks, Frere Jaques, Twinkle twinkle little star, Happy Birthday, and Heart and Soul. I lay down. After finishing all my homework, learning basic piano, AND getting through school, I felt I deserved a treat. So I went to bed, and dreamed.

Not sleeping, just dreaming.

Dream, dream big, dream outgoing, dream impossible. Because it is I'Mpossible.