A Green Suitcase | Teen Ink

A Green Suitcase

June 27, 2019
By mirrored13 BRONZE, Dale City, Virginia
mirrored13 BRONZE, Dale City, Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

– Christopher Robin


Shifting her glance to the side of the chair, she noticed a small green suitcase with a faded white label. She leaned in and squinted hard at it. It said, Ирина Kустова. She blinked and read it again. She wondered if it was in code. Why a name tag on a suitcase in the middle of a New York City airport was beyond her. Before she could speculate further, she heard the unmistakable sound of little bells coming closer by the second on high heeled feet; she turned away to look out the window towards the airplanes outside as the cheerful bells stopped beside her.

“Evy, dear, I didn't know you liked airplanes,” said a sing-song voice behind her. The girl sighed and turned around to face the tall, beautiful lady with the bell earrings and deep blue eyes, the same as her own.

“For the last time, mother,” she said through gritted teeth,”it's Evelyn, not Evy; and I don't like airplanes.” She glared though jaggedly cut bangs, dyed blue to rebel against her mother; the fact they matched her eye color was an added bonus. Her mother took a step back, her eyes full of hurt. She tried to reach for Evelyn, but thought better of it and let her hand fall to her side. Good, Evelyn thought, turning back to the window. She is finally learning.

 

“Are you hungry?” her mother tried. “I'm going to get something to eat if you want anything.”

“No,” Evelyn said dismissively, not bothering to turn around to look at her. There was a brief pause, then her mother sighed. The kind of heart-wrenching, hopeless sigh that makes you want to wrap your arms around that person and never let them go; yet, Evelyn restrained herself.

“Just, just don't go anywhere.” her mother murmured sadly and walked away, her bell earrings tinkling, merrily as ever, receding behind her. Part of Evelyn wanted to chase her mother down and hug her, never letting go, yet she quickly dismissed the idea as ridiculous. She kept her eyes fixated on the airplanes outside, letting her mind wander back home to her friends, having secret alcoholic parties while she was on this lame trip to visit family she didn't care about. She let out a sigh of her own.

“What's the matter, child?” said a gentle, soft voice that rolled the r's like little waves spoke from behind her.

“Where are your parents? Are you lost?”

Evelyn turned around to find the weathered, wrinkled face of an old woman smiling kindly at her. She was holding the green suitcase with one strong hand, the other firmly gripping a faded, gray shawl. Brown hair streaked white fell over her shoulder in sparse braids.

“No,” Evelyn sighed again, turning back to the window,”not lost.”

She heard the chair next to hers creak, and she looked around in surprise. The old woman was sitting next to her, suitcase forgotten a few feet away, watching the girl with faded blue eyes.

“I am called Irina.”

Evelyn nodded in acknowledgment, stood, walked towards the suitcase, set it in the chair next to Irina, and smiled at her.

“Thank you, child. Your mother must be very lucky to have you.”

At this Evelyn smile faltered and she looked down at her hands clasped in front of her. She could feel the woman's' soft gaze studying her with those eyes, and it was all she could do to not squirm like the guilty child she was.

“I see,” Irina said after a minute. Evelyn looked up at her, befuddled, and waited for her to go on.

“Child,” Irina started,” what is wrong?”

It was so easy. Once Evelyn started talking, there was no stopping the words that poured from her mouth like Niagara Falls. She told Irina everything, from her friend's poor influence on her to her mother's concern for her well-being. When Evelyn had finished, she realized she was crying. Irina pulled out a hanky, and with a satisfied expression, gave it to her. As she calmed down, Irina said five simple words. “You know what to do,” before standing up to leave. Evelyn was about to ask what she meant, when it hit her. She nodded to Irina, who nodded back. A moment later, the woman was gone, suitcase and all. It was only then that Evelyn realized she had forgotten to ask about what the label said. She sat back in her seat, lost in thought. Finally, she heard the unmistakable sound o little bells. Evelyn stood and ran towards her mother, throwing her arms around her neck and crying tears of joy and remorse. It really had been too long. After her moment, her mother hugged her back. It was just the two of them, rocking back and forth in each other's embrace. Out of the corner of her eye, Evelyn could have sworn that she saw the old woman but didn't turn to make sure. That could wait for a few moments. Right now it was just her and her mother, and it was all she needed.