Something In Common | Teen Ink

Something In Common

By CharlesOakes BRONZE, Somerset, Kentucky
CharlesOakes BRONZE, Somerset, Kentucky

Ash slowly trickled from the sky as people were pulled from their burning homes and forced to their knees. A war between worlds raged: A corporation set to control everything in its path and the tattered resistance, hoping to save what little of a home they had left. A man, brandishing a golden, shimmering pistol, stepped in front of the captured townsfolk. He wore a smooth black suit with a yellow tie, which complimented his jett black hair.

“Please sir! Have mercy. My wife worked for your company, and got injured because of you!” The man tried to stand, but was quickly returned to his position by one of the hundreds of soldiers that had laid siege to the town. 

“Oh my, my, my. I am so sorry that happened to you. Please excuse me, but where is your wife now?” Jack muttered those words in a cold, unapologetic manner, but included a pinch of hardly noticeable sarcasm. 

“She’s dead. Died after the explosion that you set in motion”

Jack kneeled down in front of the man and ran his calloused hand through his hair, before standing back up. 

“Well, kiddo. At least you'll have something in common with her.”

He unholstered his golden pistol, and pulled the trigger. The gunshot rang loud through the crumbling town, and before the time the body dropped to the ground, Jack was already pestering his next victim.