that left turn | Teen Ink

that left turn

May 17, 2021
By Anonymous

My arm, I thought I left my arm behind, it was laying upon the arm rest. Waiting to be moved, while I was prompted up in a car waiting for something to happen. I wanted anything to happen. I noticed the ice chips. Ice in the summer? Ice that was stuck on me? Ice that didn't melt? My mind was spinning so fast that I had forgotten that my arm was completely missing. 


Boom! It went completely quiet. There were people in front of me talking but I heard nothing. My knees were all scraped up like if I had fallen off my bike and landed on my knees. I looked at my car and it was completely destroyed. Oil was dripping from the bottom of the car and the wipers were at full go and lastly one half of my car was completely destroyed. 


As my hearing slowly returned, the distant noise of an ambulance amplified. More people who had witnessed the crash began to get down and help in any way but most took out their phones and recorded what was happening. I thought to myself why are they recording? Why are they recording me? I'm almost dead and the first thing they do is record?


I remember, I remember what had happened. That left turn that I had done a thousand times perfectly and safely and now as I did it again my life was on the edge. Horns blaring, loud screams, I could hear them behind me. For the few seconds that were passing I was suspended between life and death. I recalled my sister's voice “look around for people who are driving recklessly never know what could happen.” She said with sas on her tone.


The ambulance had just gotten here and they had grabbed a hold of me first and put me in the back of the ambulance. Sirens were blaring so loud, it could make someone go deaf. Taking one last glimpse before paramedics promptly shut  the doors, I studied the flipped car and shattered glass all over the street, until my eyes landed on the woman holding tightly a bloodied stuffed teddy bear.