In the Eye of The Storm | Teen Ink

In the Eye of The Storm

By SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

Siri nodded.

“Yeah, sure, ok. I get it.” she fought back her tears. Hard. her boss- no, not anymore. Mr. Reed watched her, deep sadness on his face.

“Are you sure you're ok?”

She turned her face away. “Doesn't make a diffrence one way or the other.”

“I'm very sorry.”

“Yeah. I know.” she turned and left his office without being dismissed. What did it matter now anyway? She quietly packed up her stuff. She saw everyone else glance at her, worried. They had been warned the company would have to let some people go soon. This was a sign they needed to be worried. She took her stuff and left. She hid her emotion until she got to her car. Then she let go.

She let herself be swept away in the torrent of tears pouring across her, until she had no tears left to cry. She started driving. She was going to see her boyfriend today, he would comfort her. She got home, where he was already standing, waiting for her. He looked nervous. She got out of her car and started to explain.

“Wait, uh, please, i need to talk to you.”

“Ok.”

“I… well, i uh… i want to break up.”

“What?”

“We can still be friends.”

“Ok, real funny.”

“I'm… i'm serious. I'm so sorry.”

“No, no i'm imagining it. This is just a dream and i'm going to wake up and everything will be fine.”

“So… goodbye?” she stared at him without reply as he got into his car and drove away. Her legs felt numb. She went inside and collapsed on her bed, crying her heart out. Why? What had she done wrong?

She didn't find a job in the next month. Then two. She lived on her savings account. She had a vast savings account, a clean house, a good work ethic. Where had she gone wrong? Why her?

And then she got evicted for not paying her mortgage. Her savings account ran dry. She had to sell everything she owned. She couldn't get a job anymore. Who would hire a homeless freak with the worst luck in the history of the universe? She was living on welfare. She was still saving money and budgeting and everything she possibly could to do it right. It didn't seem to mater.

At some point she had enough. The thunder outside clapped. She walked outside to the ocean and waded in. she had enough. She didn't have a choice. She was so trapped and so alone. She kept walking. The ocean swept her away.

What was she thinking? She was giving up everything, she could still try, still do something, surely! What options did she have? It didn't matter, anything besides this. She started swimming out towards shore, but she wasn't strong enough. She saw two women on the shore and shouted for help before her consciousness slipped.

She woke up on the shore with the women, drenched, trying to get the water from her lungs. They were dressed formally, with black nametags she couldn't make out. The taller one had brown hair and eyes, the other had blonde hair and hazel eyes. There was a feeling about them she couldn't quite make out. Good, though. They almost glowed in her half drowned eyes.

“Oh, good, shes awake.”

“He- hello? Who are you?” she gasped.

“I'm Sister Young, and this is my companion, Sister Johnson.”

“Thats an odd name….” she said faintly before drifting back to blackness.

She woke up in the hospital. Neither of them were there. No! She needed to ask them why they felt so good! 

“Where are they?” she asked a random doctor desperately.

“Who?”

“The people who saved me, they were both named Sister?”

“Oh, yes. I don't know. They left, they didn't leave contact informtion.”

No, she needed to meet them again! The hospital was torture. When she was released she wasn't worried anymore. She didn't feel poor. She was alive. And as soon as she found them, it would be ok.

I kept asking people about them. I described them as best i remembered, for weeks. Nobody knew them. Then she spotted two young men wearing name tags like Sister and Sister had worn. They wore suits and felt good. she ran to them with no regard for safety. She ran right across the busy road, fortunately evading cars(by total accedent).

“Hello? Hello?”

They turned to me. “Hello, can we help you?”

“I… i met some people wearing name tags like yours, they had a good feeling like you do. They were both named Sister, i don't know why. Sister Young and Sister Johnson.”

“Oh, we don't have any sister missionaries in our ward, but we can help you find them.”

“What?”

“We are missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. We can probably find thm. Where did you meet them?”

“By the ocean. I was drowning. They saved me.”

“Ok, theyre in the area. Here, i can give you the adresses of churches in the area. Theyll be at one of those on sunday.”

“Ok, thank you.” 

The next sunday she went to one of their churches. The whole place felt good. she headed towards the door and stopped. She stared at it, and then herself. She was a mess. This place was good and clean. She shouldnt go in there. She turned and started to leave, head hung. A nice family headed in and stopped when they saw me.

“Hey, i havnt seen you here you must be new. I'm Nephi Hale, and this is my family.”

“Oh, very sorry to intrude, sir. I was just leaving.”

“Oh, no, don't go. Please come in, we love to have visitors.”

“Me? No, you don't want me.”

“Of couse we do. Jesus wants everyone. Please, come join us.”

“O...ok.” but nobody wanted her. One of the children said something, she didn't remember what, but it made her laugh. Just like anyone else. 

She went inside and looked around. There they were! The missionary sisters! She nervously approached them. 

They gave her a Book of Mormon and asked her to read it. She finished it in a day. They started teaching her lessons. 4 weeks later, she was baptized. After that, her life fixed itself.

Not necessarily financially. It didn't really matter. But everything was perfect. And she was accepted. She was wanted. She was home.