Finding Home | Teen Ink

Finding Home

October 25, 2021
By WolvesRain ELITE, Walton, Kentucky
WolvesRain ELITE, Walton, Kentucky
117 articles 1 photo 190 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works." Virginia Wolf


Luna watched as the other pups raced back and forth barking with glee, Luna could only dream of such things. Suddenly, the pups raced over to her.

“Hey runt, nice fur you got there, it’s as dark as the sky,” the pups barked their taunts.

“I can’t h-help it,” Luna stuttered in a whimper.

They simply laughed and turned away leaving Luna alone once more but she didn’t mind, being lonely was just how she spent her days now. She wandered out of the forest into the snowy storm to get away from the other pups but soon found herself lost. Suddenly, she heard crunching snow behind her and when she looked back, her mom stood above her, she knew she was in trouble.

“Let’s go,” her mother sighed as she grabbed Luna’s scruff and took her back.

That night she dreamed of a smiling sun and many friends to call her own. She was wanted and happy but it was just a dream. 

Luna opened her eyes to a shining sun, she turned two today but all was the same, she was still the misfit of the pack but something was different, she smelled unfamiliar smells. She wandered away from the sleeping bodies of her pack members and up the hill, what she saw shocked her. 

“Another pack?” she questioned herself.

She ran down the hill and went straight to the alpha’s den where she informed him of the strange pack.

“Why should I believe you?” the alpha asked.

“Because you could lose your territory,” Luna replied back.

He quickly rose to his feet but before he left, “You better be telling the truth,” he said with a growl. 

Luna followed him out and when he saw it for himself he raised his head in a howl to command all the wolves of his pack.

“We will move further into the forest, now! Grab your pups and let’s move out!” he commanded. 

Now a month has passed since Luna turned two and things only got worse, they were being pushed further and further from their food source and the other wolves showed no signs of stopping. Luna knew that if her pack wouldn’t do anything about it, they would starve, it was up to her now. 

That night she slipped away from her pack and ran as far as she could, away from the forest and away from her home, into the unknown land beyond her borders and for what or who? Her pack didn’t care about her but she wasn’t going to let that stop her, this was her chance to prove herself. 

She traveled all night and all day and only when the sun had set on the next day of her journey did she finally settle down to rest. She circled a patch of grass for a minute before she laid down resting her forepaws in front of her and hind paws tucked neatly underneath to finally close her eyes and allow sleep to overcome her. 

The next morning she woke to growling and when she looked up she was faced with another wolf, a rouge. She was terrified, never had she seen a rogue wolf or even fought another wolf but she knew she must not show fear. Instead of cowering she faced the rouge with a growl as she rose up, but not by any means did she level out with him, she was much smaller than the rouge, he was snow white and had a muscular body.

“I’d advise you to go home little one, wolves like you don’t last out here,” he said with a chuckle.

“I’m not little! And I’m not leaving so just let me pass through then I’ll be out of your way,” Luna growled. 

The rouge simply stared at her then crouched down growling a warning making Luna flinch back.

“Scared? You should be!” he snarled.

“No! Why shoul-” she began but was cut off as the rouge leaped at her pinning her down.
“How about now?” he growled in her face.

She had to think of something or she would be dead within seconds then she got it. 

“O-Okay… You win,” she stuttered.

Just as the rouge loosened his grip she wiggled her head free and grabbed his paw between her teeth putting him off balance. She managed to free the rest of her body and stood up his paw still between her teeth causing him to fall, giving her time to land a blow to his head and make a run for it. The rogue quickly rose to his feet and gave chase but her smaller size proved as an advantage as it allowed her to run much faster until she was well away from him. After several minutes she finally slowed to a stop to listen for the rouge but all she could hear was the wind rustling the trees. She lost him. She continued on her way at a much slower pace. 

The sun was soon to set and she had yet to eat, she lifted her muzzle to sniff out any signs of food. She caught the scent of a deer, a doe to be exact. Following the scent until she saw it, she then realized she had never hunted before since her pack wouldn’t let her join their hunts but she had no choice but to try to learn on her own. Crouching down low enough to where she couldn’t be spotted and staying down wind she crept closer to the deer until it was within pouncing range, leaping out of the grass she grabbed the deer before it could run to far and grabbed hold of its neck giving the killing bite but not before it landed a few blows of its own. After doing the proper work to make the deer safe to eat she settled down to enjoy her well earned meal.

After she finished, the sun had fully set and the sky was pitch black speckled with stars, she slept well that night after her accomplished day.

She traveled for months facing many dangers along the way such as rogue wolves, bears, bobcats, and many more predators. When she finally reached the place she would call home she was coated in drying up blood and scars. It took her a whole year and she learned many things her mother refused to teach her. The new place was placed in a large patch in the woods sheltered by rocks on all sides to keep out the wind. There was a gap in the rocks where a wolf could slip through and inside there was enough room for all her pack. It was perfect. The food supply was good too, now she would begin the perilous journey back to her pack to convince them to leave with her. 

“Look who’s back,” a familiar voice growled

“Back off! Unless you want another lesson on what a “small” wolf can do,” Luna growled.

She was passing through the same place she passed at the beginning of the journey but this time, she was ready. She pounced on the rogue and bit down hard on his hindleg then landed a blow with her paw to his muzzle leaving a mark he would remember her by. The rogue ran with his tail between his legs leaving Luna standing victorious. She had a job to do and nothing would stop her now. She stood atop the hill looking down at her pack, she let out a howl and ran down.

“Come with me if you want to keep your lives!” Luna commanded.

The alpha stepped forward but Luna kept her head held high.

“What are you doing here? You left, remember?” the alpha reminded her.

“I’m here to save you guys from starvation, unless you want to starve,” she challenged.

“How dare you come back here and expect us to leave,” he growled, “You’re not wanted Here! Go away before you learn why I’m alpha.”

“I’m aware you don’t want me because I’m a black arctic wolf who is also a runt but I gone through so much to find a home for us and I won’t stop here,” Luna growled back.

“So be it…” the alpha growled and leaped at Luna.

Luna quickly got out of the away and grabbed his hindleg between her teeth pulling him to the ground and refused to let go. He kept snapping his jaws towards her but she kept a firm hold on him and dodged his blows. Finally he stopped and accepted her as the new alpha. 

“Anyone else?” Luna challenged, “No? Then let’s move out!” 

She led her pack towards home, where they would be safe from the wolves who were taking their home, to a paradise. Luna. The black arctic wolf, once rejected by her own mother, had grown into the strongest wolf in the pack, maybe the smallest but she was still stronger and wiser than them all. Now as alpha of the pack she would ensure that all runts or black furred wolves born would not know the word, rejection, they would grow to be loved and accepted by all wolves of the pack and as Luna’s pack arrived in their home, she stood on a hilltop looking down on them, remembering the journey she took to grow to be accepted in her pack. Luna found her place and found her home.


The author's comments:

This is the same story I submitted before but fixed so it's easier to read. It follows the story of Luna, a black artic wolf and her journey to be accepted.