Final Wish | Teen Ink

Final Wish

October 25, 2021
By Anonymous

Beep Beep Beep. The man on the bed looked outside. It was gently raining with bleak clouds looming over the sky. The man’s heart felt heavy. Extremely heavy. He knew he would soon be gone into a world that all men inevitably fall into. The man had no wife, no kin, no friends. Just the man all alone in a depressing bare room with an occasional beep from the ventilator. The man heard a rattling from the door and a middle aged nurse covered in a snow white uniform trudged in with a roller tray. “Good morning Mr Stevens. How have you been?” No reply. “I have some big news for you. Would you like to guess?” No reply. “It’s your 60th birthday today!” Still no reply. The man continued to look outside the window showing no sentiment or notion of jubilation. He wondered why he couldn’t feel any sense of emotion. He wanted to touch a feeling. He wanted to know a feeling. He wanted the joy and the flutter of happiness of a boy who had just woken up for their birthday anticipating the gifts that he was about to receive. Instead he felt astray and deluded living on for no purpose. The nurse delicately unfolded the desk connected to the bed and set down a chocolate cupcake covered with raindrops of colorful sprinkles and a tiny candle and told the man, “Mr. Stevens make a wish.” Again the man didn’t budge. But he started pondering over the thought, “what I would wish for. What would I wish for? What would I wish for?”


The author's comments:

In this short story, I tried to incorporate a certain feeling or mood to make a person feel gloomy and lonesome. I left off the last part as a cliffhanger so that the reader could imagine themselves what the man would have wished for based on their own experiences in everyday life. I also applied repetition of the same phrase to exaggerate a certain message the reader has to understand themselves.