That's Life | Teen Ink

That's Life

May 5, 2009
By Hannahbear GOLD, Blue Jay, California
Hannahbear GOLD, Blue Jay, California
12 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." -Wayne Gretzky


It was a beatiful summer day, and I walked out my local church, and gazed out into the sunset. I was deep in thought about my best friend, Ashley, who had just died in a car accient the week before.

I was thinking about what had happened before she drove away from my house last Thursday. We had just gotten into a huge fight, and I told her that I never wanted to see her again. Little did i know then that that WOULD be the last time I ever saw her. The words that I had said to her now stabbed at my heart. If I could go back, I would change my hurtfull words.
I snapped out of my day daydream, and heard Mrs.Carter, Emily's mom, call my name. "Samantha!" She called in a choked up voice. I walked toward her and gave hera huge hug. Then she continued speaking. "Samanta, I would like to thank-you for all the nice things you said about Ashley at the service. It was absoulutly heart warming."

I simpy nodded, and gave a quick, weak grim, and held back the tears that welled in my eyes. "I also wanted to give you somethings." I wasn't exactly in the mood for presents. "From Ashley."

I looked up, confused. She handed me a black box with a bow on it, gave me a hug, and walked away. I opened it, and the tears flooded out! Inside the box was all of our memories from kindergarten, up until now. All of our notes, pictures, everything. I slowly walked to my car, and sried more than I ever had before.

As I drove back to my house, I thought of all the wonderfull times I had with her. And niw she was gone. Gone.

I parked my car, and went into my house. I trudged slowly to my room, and plopped down on my bed. I took the lid off the box, and peered inside once moer. There was something I had not noticed before; a sealed envelope.

I picked it uo and opened it. It said: If you had the chance to go back in time and change all the mistakes that you made, would you? Choose your answer wisley, for you have no idea what lies ahead.

"Yes." I mumbled quietly to myself. "Yes! I would go back and change so much!"

All of a sudden, my room started to spin for a few moments. Then, it stopped, and a rather large book fell in front of me. It said, "Samantha's Big Book of Mistakes."

I just sood there for a moment, staring. This was weired.

I finally picked up the book and opened it.

Suddenly, a booming voice called out to me, "Samantha! This book is all of your mistakes in 7th and 8th grade. Ashley wanted to give you the opportunity to fix things that you have done wrong. Choose your new path wisley, for you do not want ot make the same mistakes as before. Good luck."

I backed up and sat on my bed. I thought about the opportunity that had just been given to me: relive 2 years of my life. Wow. I had defienlty made tons of mistkes those two years.

I walked back over to the book and opened it again. Mistake #1 Not saying good-bye to your papa before you left for Andrew's Birthday Party. I would defiently relive that!

My room began to spin again, faster and longer this time

When it finally stopped, I was no longer in my room, but at my dad's house.

"Samantha! Come on! It's time to go to Andrew's birthdat party!" I remembered this scene clearly.

"Just one sec!" I yelled back at him. "I have something to do!"

"All right, but make it quick!"

I walked back to the back of the house, and knocked on my papa's door.

"Come in." I was stunned for a moment. His voice. I hadn't heard it in over 5 years. Tears started to well into my eyes

I walked in and sat on his bed. "Hey kid!" He said. "What's happening?"

I took a deep breath. "Nothing much, just about to leave." I could feel the lump in my throat growing. "I just wanted to," I stammered, "Tell you good-bye."

"All right." He sounded and looked confused, and, by my guesss, it was becasue of how I was acting.

"I love you so much." I got up, and gave him a huge, very long hug.

"I love you too, kid. Take care." I took one long, last look at my papa, and walked out the door.

The room started to spin again, and it didn't surprise me.

I was in my room again. I sat on my bed, and the tears ran down my face, like an overly gushing waterfall after a snowstorm.

That would be the last tim ei ever saw my papa again.

The book seemed to be calling to me. I sat on the floor, and reopened the book. The first think i noticed was that Mistake #1 was gone. I had made the right choice apparently.

Mistake #2 Not going to see your papa in the hospitol. My eyes started to get watery again. I didn't feel like doing this right now.

I layed down on my bed, and closed my eyes. Slowly fell into a sleeplesss sleep.

When i woke up, i was at my friend Lexi's house, laying on her bed.

Crap.

I got up from the bed, adn walked downstairs. Again, I remember this scence clearly.When I would get downstairs, a warm aroma of chocalte fudge with fill me.

"Hey, Sam! I was wondering when you would wake up!" Lexi was very chipper today. "We were wondering when you would wake up! My Grandma made some of her home made fudge!"

"Yummy!" That fudge was the best tasting thing on the face of this Earth!

"Here you go honey." Her grandma said. She handed me a bag that had a huge chunk of homemade fudge.

"Thank you!" Just then, I heard a car honking, and looked out the window. It was my mom. "Well, thanks for having me!"

"Oh, you know you're welcome here anytime you like!"

"Haha! Thanks! Bye Lex!"

"Hey, mom," I said when I got into the car. I knew exactly what was coming.

"Samantha, I have to talk to you...."

"What's going on," I asked, even though I knew exactly what she was talking about.

"Your papa is in a coma, and he's in the hospital. You can go down to the hospital and see him, but you don't have to if you don't want to."

"Ummm....I really don't want to..."

"That's fine sweety. I completly understand."

This was where I had made the mistake last time. But now that i thought about, this wasn't a mistake, not to me anyway. Why would I want to see my papa in a coma? And why should I leta stupid book deice what mistakes I made in life?

People make mistakes in life, that's just the way things go. You can't expect to do things perfectly. And I'm only human, I am most defienlty going to make mistakes. And I am OK with that. That's life.


The author's comments:
If you have any comments about this story, please feel free to comment. I am completly open to ways to make my work better!