Remembering... | Teen Ink

Remembering... MAG

November 29, 2021
By Bella_Queen DIAMOND, Plymouth, Ohio
Bella_Queen DIAMOND, Plymouth, Ohio
90 articles 26 photos 79 comments

Favorite Quote:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you.
-Walt Whitman


I remember it like it was yesterday.


There were pink strands in your golden hair. They matched your lipstick like they always did. I was standing in the line, watching as you scribbled the wrong names on each and every cup. You once told me you did it on purpose.


“Huh?” I asked, only half-listening.


I think you knew because you didn’t say anything. And I never asked again.


I was next and when you looked up at me with those eyes, I smiled.

You smiled back.


Once, when we were fighting over the phone, you asked me what color they were, to make your point. I drew a blank.


You hung up.


I ordered what I always did, “A peppermint latte.”


You rolled your eyes, “Really? That?”


I remember you ordered that for me once and left it on the coffee table, so I would have it when I woke up. I threw it away because I didn’t like peppermint anymore. You didn’t ask why the trash bag was leaking, why my misspelled name was fading with the scent of peppermint.


I think you knew why.


I shrugged, “What can I say? I love it.”


You laughed. It was bell-like.


I told you once that your laugh was annoying after you started cracking up over a joke a friend told you. You shut your mouth, eyes-that-I-didn’t-know-the-color-of dimming.


“All right.”


You wrote my name backward — Nayar — along with a number.


Your number.


I remember deleting it one day because I never labeled it. Because I didn’t know it by heart, like you. You had to walk home in the rain, nothing but a green parka to keep you dry.


I still never labeled it.


You handed me my order and I studied the number, smiling slightly. I think I knew then. That you were a notch in my boot. A pretty blonde with no one and nothing.


You once said that I would one day think about you. Imagine you.

Want you.


I scoffed and slammed the door in your face. You wanted your stuff.


I kept it all.


I still have it. The DarkSky CD you once asked me to play in our sedan. I said no because I didn’t like them. They were loud, I said.


Obnoxious, like you.


And maybe it’s stupid. But the moment that Save-the-Date card got to my house, I started to miss you. Wanted to touch those strands in your hair. Laugh at your jokes. Listen to every DarkSky song you know by heart.


I remember it all, just like you said I would.


Maybe that’s why you did it, to prove your point. To make me want to run to you.


And I do.


But it’s too late.


Maybe it always was.