Coming home | Teen Ink

Coming home

December 20, 2021
By Carsyn_Bradley BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Carsyn_Bradley BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."

- Robin Williams


She pulled her legs to her chest clutching to his favorite mug as she stared out the bay window that led to the driveway. She was waiting for his navy truck to come rolling down the street. The same truck they used to take long summer drives in with the windows down and country music blaring. The same truck they rode in on that solum drive to the airport. She squeezed her arm, remembering his embrace, the way his uniform's rough fabric scratched her bare arms. The sound of his boot clunking against the metal grates of the airport floors, his figure fading from view. A small meow pulled her back to her chilly living room. Setting her tea on the coffee table she laid their kitten Hallow on her chest. He purred as she stroked his black fur. She frowned as she refocused her attention to the window.

If he was coming home he would be here by now, she thought as she watched the snowfall softly. She laid Hallow back on the cold wooden floor resting her head back on a decorative pillow. She closed her eyes, imagining his tender arms wrapping around her. His soft lips on hers,  their bodies close as she took in his scent, lavender and mint cologne. She dreamed of them sitting in his old truck, him telling her terrible jokes. His voice brought her back to their last phone call. But his voice wasn’t the same, it was strained and rough. A loud banging followed by the sound of bullets firing interrupted their conversation. She can hear her own voice screaming into the phone. A clattering sound comes through followed by muffled yells. Silence.

A heavy weight in her shoulder dragged her from the nightmare. She squinted as her eyes adjusted to the darkness. The faint outline of a face formed, it was him. She let out a small gasp before jumping into his arms. She felt his tears against her cheek as he cradled her in his arms. That same fabric abraded her other cheek as his familiar scent fell over her. Her emotions swelled as their lips met, he was finally home.


The author's comments:

To the active soldiers, veterns, and their loved ones- Thank you.