Cindy Listens In | Teen Ink

Cindy Listens In

By Lianne Zettel GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Lianne Zettel GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Cindy is my little sister. Our parents fight constantly. And although Dad still lives in the house, he sleeps on the couch. Cindy and I love Mom, and we love dad. So who do we side with?

After school Cindy sits on her bed. Listening. I am at soccer practice, she sits alone. I don’t like to leave her there, but I have no choice. Mom and Dad are there arguing like it’s their job. They try to keep there voices down, but Dad has a bad temper. Cindy is scared, holding Mr. Snuggles tightly.

When I come home, I make us dinner. Mac and Cheese. It’s her favorite. The television is turned up loud so it drowns out the voices. All we hear is Elmur Fudd chasing Bugs Bunny. Cindy likes this part; us together in the basement watching her favorite show, eating her favorite meal. I turn the volume up, the voices are leaking through.

A door slams. There is silence. I wonder if he left. I creep up the stairs with Cindy’s little hand grasping my pinky. We see Mom sitting with her head in her hands. And weeping. Cindy and I, dragging our feet on the carpet, sit down next to her. She looks up at me. Then looks down at the floor. Make up smeared, cheek red, broken glass.