Two Roads | Teen Ink

Two Roads

By ahuckstep BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
ahuckstep BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

A road split into two. Call it what you will: fate, luck, destiny. There, stumbling upon a dirt drawn road, a choice was about to be made. One road was mysterious, tall trees narrowed the path as candle lit street lamps showed the way down as the stars filled the night sky. Luminous and thrilling. The other path was light, a paved sidewalk showed the way. This path was sunny and busy. The way looked more like that of an inner city. One path is a country night and the other is a city in the day. This isn’t just a test or deciding where to live. This was a test of personality. This was a test of character. 

The dark road may seem like nothing on the outside. A simple night sky, but on the inside there are unknown secrets. There is a wild side. There is a sporty side. A mysterious, loving, outdoor type of person that enjoys peace and silence. 

The city, though thought of as a dangerous place brings people closer together, a gathering place. The city is a place to get away from your worries by keeping yourself busy. An economic powerhouse. The type of person that likes a full schedule, running around all the time, and never has time to sleep. 

Neither one or the other is bad, they are what keep society together. In their indifference we as a people find a balance in life. Which way will society choose? Which way will you choose?

This piece is about choosing a direction in life. They may be different, but they are equal and both important.