The First Ride | Teen Ink

The First Ride

By rmorrow24 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
rmorrow24 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

The road is full of leaves and pine straw. A crisp cold breeze filling your lungs. Kids walking and riding their bikes on the slim gravel sidewalks. The innocent girl enjoys them through the window, so she decides to run to her Dad who is enjoying his coffee with today's news on his lap. Her Mom makes pancakes that she makes every Sunday for her family. Her immature older brothers ran out the back door to go to the basketball court. The girl wants a change of this original sunday routine. Reaching her Dad she says with excitement, “Bike!” as she walks with a pep in her step to the garage. Her father knew exactly what he needed to do. In the chilled garage the girl reaches in the back with all the cobwebs and grabs her bicycle by the training wheels. Her Dad follows through with what she has been asking from him for weeks. 

With a screech of a wrench, he unscrews the training wheels and sets them down on the colored chalk dust filled table. The pretty perfect pink training wheels with rough edges sitting off of her bike, fills not only her but her father with the feeling of a milestone. With a broad smile walking down the memory filled driveway, they reach the cul-de-sac across the street. Once she lays her hand on the rubber glittered bike handles, panic fills her whole body. She feels alone watching her neighborhood swim team coaches pass by; Biking with one hand, going faster than her little mind can imagine. This brings her bravery watching someone she looks up to being so courageous. Once she sits on the glossy uncomfortable seat, she just rides pretending she still has the training wheels on. The wind glides through her hair, nothing stopping her. She feels free. Yet, then pain strikes when she tumbles. 

The girl's knees are burned with concrete chips in them. Even though she feels like crying, her adrenaline causes her to stand right back up and try again. She didn't want this to stop her, this one fall wouldn't make her never go on a bike again. She knew she needed to be strong and put on a fake face. The girl gets right back up and brushes off the dirt off her shirt, and hops on the culprit of her accident. Her Dad holds her on the bike steady but she starts to move the pedals with her stringy legs. She turned onto the sidewalk, she is cruising through the wind. Out of the side of her eye she sees her brothers gather around the front door. They start to chase her like how her Dad is. She did it, finally. The girl feels free, proud, and excited for this new memory in her life. Once reaching the stop sign, she races her Dad and brothers all the way back home. As she pulls her bike into the garage all by herself, she feels on top of the world. Her brothers push her into the house and throw her on the couch. Giving her high fives every second, they were proud. The house is filled with giggles, it is a happy day. They celebrate with the fresh pancakes mom made and some orange juice. Her oldest brother cheers her on being a big kid now, and the girl's smile never went away.  

This piece is supposed to capture my first memory of writing a bike, but writen in thrid person.