Gulp | Teen Ink

Gulp

February 7, 2022
By AbbyGoetz BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
AbbyGoetz BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The chatter behind the tall wooden doors to the church fell silent. The organ began to play. I looked down at my white dress and then back up at my father motioning for me to grab a hold of his arm. Turning my head away from him I pick up my bouquet and feel around inside for the pills that I had tucked away earlier that evening. Sweat pools on my hairline as I pretend to inhale the scent of my pale pink roses. Instead, my tongue grabs a hold of the small oval shaped pills as if I were eating popcorn out of an overflowing movie theater bucket. I tilt my head back and allow the month's worth of medication to fight its way down my throat. I begin to cough. My father hands me a nearby bottle of water. An act of kindness he will soon regret. I swallow all 22 pills just as the oak doors slowly swing open. My throat makes a cracking gulp sound just as all faces turn to me. I begin to walk, praying I don't make it to the altar.


The author's comments:

My name is Abigail, I am sixteen years old and currently a sophomore at Middle Creek Highschool. I have been in the creative writing program at Middle Creek for the past two years and have enjoyed learning new skills and writing techniques! This piece is a short 188 word story about a woman whom regrets her choice to marry right before her wedding begins. She makes the choice to consume a large amount of medication in hopes that she doesn't make it through the ceremony. Thank you for taking the time to read "Gulp", I hope you enjoy!