Gulp | Teen Ink

Gulp

By AbbyGoetz BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
AbbyGoetz BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina

The chatter behind the tall wooden doors to the church fell silent. The organ began to play. I looked down at my white dress and then back up at my father motioning for me to grab a hold of his arm. Turning my head away from him I pick up my bouquet and feel around inside for the pills that I had tucked away earlier that evening. Sweat pools on my hairline as I pretend to inhale the scent of my pale pink roses. Instead, my tongue grabs a hold of the small oval shaped pills as if I were eating popcorn out of an overflowing movie theater bucket. I tilt my head back and allow the month's worth of medication to fight its way down my throat. I begin to cough. My father hands me a nearby bottle of water. An act of kindness he will soon regret. I swallow all 22 pills just as the oak doors slowly swing open. My throat makes a cracking gulp sound just as all faces turn to me. I begin to walk, praying I don't make it to the altar.

My name is Abigail, I am sixteen years old and currently a sophomore at Middle Creek Highschool. I have been in the creative writing program at Middle Creek for the past two years and have enjoyed learning new skills and writing techniques! This piece is a short 188 word story about a woman whom regrets her choice to marry right before her wedding begins. She makes the choice to consume a large amount of medication in hopes that she doesn't make it through the ceremony. Thank you for taking the time to read "Gulp", I hope you enjoy! 

Afra ELITE said...
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

"A writer must never be short of ideas."
-Gabriel Agreste- (Fictional character- Miraculous)

This is wonderfully-written, Abigail...I enjoyed reading it...Keep writing ✍🏻 😀 👍🏻...