Last Thoughts | Teen Ink

Last Thoughts

November 3, 2022
By sahana_j BRONZE, Cupertino, California
sahana_j BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

What is time? Time is fluid. It speeds up, slows down, like a river in different seasons. I am staring into his eyes. Brown like dead leaves, no sign of mercy, life, or a conscience. How do I look right now? Are my own brown eyes unmasking me?


Fear pumps through my heart, it courses through my veins, it races through my body. In another world, I would be sneakily calling the cops. I would be kicking the gun aside and dauntlessly tying him up with the courage I have always craved.


But I am frozen. My fingers don’t move. My legs don’t move. My arms don’t move, they betray me and I can’t do anything but stare down the barrel of his black gun. I am a deer thrown into the middle of a highway, facing a car speeding towards me with no intention of stopping.


What is my mother thinking? Does she think that I am safe at home doing homework? Will she cry for me? Will my dad come to the funeral? These are all questions and thoughts that he doesn’t think of as his eyes glint with an emotion I do not know, that I can’t identify.


The gun is cocked

The trigger is pulled.


The author's comments:

This set piece is about a girl being shot. I wanted to portray her last thoughts using metaphors, similes, and descriptions. You will see this in where this girl is noticing the physical aspects of her situation, such as the eyes of her attacker and her own incapacitated state. “He” is the shooter and “she” is the girl. What I like most about this set piece is the way that we get some insight into this girl’s life, enough to be curious and assume, but not enough to completely identify who she is and what her life is like. Another thing that I enjoy is the suspense and the way the gun is set up to shoot, but we don't know whether the gun goes off or not, we don't know if this girl gets shot or not.