The Tragic Tale of Pablo | Teen Ink

The Tragic Tale of Pablo

November 4, 2022
By Anonymous


It was a rainy night on the tennis court. Pablo sat on the benches, thinking about his future. He’s become too old for tennis, but that’s what the critics say. He glances at his trophy cabinet; 3 Wii trophies and a Resort Tennis Championship from 2010. Those were his glory days. While he’s dusting his trophy cabinet he gets a call from his manager, Bob Manager. “Hey, Pablo? There’s some bad news.” “What?” asks Pablo. “They’re grounding you. You’re retired from all Wii and Resort championships”, he says. “No, no no no. They can’t do this! I’ve still got something left in me!” “Sorry, man, it’s not my call; they’ve made it final. They offered a position as a commentator, not that you’d be interested”, he continued. “Come on, you know that I’m not fit to be a commentator, I need to play; it's the only thing going for me right now.”, Pablo pleads. “It’s what it is, I can’t defend your stance against the Tennis Committee, it’s done. You’ve had a good run Pablo. Maybe start a knitting shop or something, to keep your mind busy.” he says. “All right, goodbye.” Pablo slams the phone down. He starts contemplating what to do next. Pablo sighs and sits on his couch in thought as his mind drifts to sleep…


Pablo! Pablo! Pablo! Pablo! The crowd screams as he walks into the court. He looks around. He can’t believe it, 30,000 people. From a small neighborhood in New Donk Cityto the finals of the most coveted tennis championship: The Natioinal Resort Tennis Competition. He sees his mother in the stands, egging him on. But something else catches his eye: his opponent Juanlo shows up. Juanlo, a German player, came abroad and rose in the rankings. He is one of the most feared tennis players of this generation.  “All right, so you can see this guy’s backhand is weak, so use that to your advantage-” “Pablo, it’s time,” as his manager cuts off his trainer. He gets up, “Let's go! Let’s destroy this guy!” Pablo! Pablo! Pablo! Pablo! The crowd chants as he gets ready to play. The fans go silent as the referee picks up his whistle and… Beep, Beep, Beep. His alarm wakes him up. Pablo groggily opens his eyes, thinking, “I wish I had that dream forever.” He stops the alarm and jumps off the couch, ready to start another day with a life he’s not happy with.


The author's comments:

My Set Piece: My set piece is about a former tennis player named Pablo and how he remembers the glory days. I got this idea when me and my friend were playing Wii Sports and this undefeatable grandpa named Pablo kept destroying us every single time. It took us 30 minutes to finally win one set. My literary device is a Flashback, but you can also see there is some story within a story. There are also some funny moments and it’s in 3rd person.