Splat! | Teen Ink

Splat!

It was Friday. That meant basketball practice. “Hey, Addy, look out!” Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a basketball flying towards her face. Splat! Her face tingled from the impact, and she rubbed her head. Owwwww, she thought. Still dizzy, she could feel herself falling, and in a split second, everything was black.  

She couldn’t see for a few seconds, but her eyes eventually became adjusted to the brightness of the room. Everywhere she looked she saw many different kinds of foods, drinks, and toys, but there were no people to be found. The room was like a ghost town and no one was to be seen. She thought, “Where am I and what happened to the basketball court?” On a screen in front of her, it said: name, place, server, and a huge button with the word ‘Play’, with white lettering and a bright neon orange background. Underneath the word ‘Play’, it said ‘Private Games’ and underneath that, it said ‘create or join’. Just as she read it, she thought that this place looks exactly like the home screen of Shell Shockers, a game where everyone is an egg. (Shell Shockers is a first person shooting game.) She saw all the familiar guns and hats, bringing back memories of the fun times she had with her friends.  The bright orange button beckoned her to come, her thoughts tempting her to press it. She hit the play button and the next thing she knew, she was in the game. She chose the “scrambler”, a type of gun that is good for close-range combat. She looked around and saw huge yellow brick buildings that towered around her. Hiding behind a corner, she saw her chance and shot an egg in front of her. Yes! One kill! All of a sudden…Splat! The screen wrote, ‘scrambled by Jerry’. “Dang it!” she shouted and the screen went dark. She respawned again, and after playing for fifteen minutes, the screen suddenly dissolved. “Hey! What’s happening?” she cried. She opened her eyes again and saw a group of blurry people around her. “Omg, are you ok Addy? You got hit in the head pretty hard and then splat, you face planted,” asked her blurry friend Sydney. “Yeah, I’m good,” she responded, rubbing her sore head.

My set piece is about a girl getting hit by a basketball and she starts to hallucinate. She dreams about herself playing a game called Shell Shockers. For my set piece, I am writing in third person and it includes imagery, irony, similes, repetition, personification, and onomatopoeia. You will see that I used imagery in the part where I describe what the setting looks like in Shell Shockers. I wrote a simile in the part where I describe the room as being like a ghost town. I used a lot of repetition when I kept saying the words “play” and “splat”. I used irony when Addy gets hit by the basketball and later wakes up from her dream. I used a personification where it says, “The bright orange button beckoned her to come, her thoughts tempting her to press it.” I like the part where I wrote “Splat!” because when you get killed in Shell Shockers, it tells you egg-like things for when you get killed instead of saying “you got killed”. 

nh_teeninksubscription, Cupertino, California
WOW! 👍🏻👍🏻