Day on a Lake | Teen Ink

Day on a Lake

November 6, 2022
By Anonymous

Small boats floated on the calm, clear waters, with every touch of the water feeling cold under the blazing, hot sun. A place without many people, where you could hear birds singing afternoon songs who flew high above the blue sky. She saw the reflection of herself when gazing down at the translucent water. She was in her own little world up in her mind. Fishes were welcoming her into their homes, as she was on her little stand up paddle board. 

It made her feel relaxed, with the sound of water splashing softly beside her. She was paddling twenty feet in front of her dad while trying not to let him catch up to her. The beautiful view of the lake filled her head, as she forgot about everything in her mind. She focused only on her surroundings ahead of her. The birds chirped on the trees, the sound of bees buzzed next to colorful flowers, and the water under the dome shaped bridge that she paddled under flowed like clouds.

After a while, she turned around to check on her dad, hoping he was still behind her. All she saw were trees, birds, and the empty waters of the lake, but no sight of her dad. She was petrified as the world seemed to stop. The sounds of chirping birds seemed so faint and the clear, blue sky turned into gray clouds. She frantically turned around and attempted to paddle back. Tears rolled down her cheeks as her eyes puffed up like a chubby animal. It felt like an eternity had passed as she was approaching the lake’s shoreline. Finally, she saw a familiar figure that looked just like her dad who was sitting on the edge of the shoreline. She once again heard birds chirping and little insects as though they were cheering for her return.


The author's comments:

In this set piece, I used perspective and mood to describe how I felt as I wrote a personal narrative. For example, “The beautiful view of the lake filled her head”. This sentence brings perspective to the reader, allowing them to know the main focus is on nature. I chose to write about this event because it was the time I felt most connected to nature before the Covid-19 pandemic.