The Life Altering Letter | Teen Ink

The Life Altering Letter

By globalworld7624 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
globalworld7624 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

The girl walked to her mom’s mailbox. Opening the rusty mailbox, weathered by the rain, and scorching heat,  she found one single letter. Reaching out for the letter, the girl’s eyes widened as she held the letter made of thick card stock. The girl’s hand trembled as she opened it. The words college and scholarship jumped out of the page. Tears threatened to spill out of her eyes. Running, the girl slammed the door open to their apartment. The girl ran past the walls with their peeling paint, and the dripping faucet, to the one room the girl and her mom had. The girl’s mom looked up, surprised to see her crying. As she looked at the letter in her hand, the girl’s mom’s eyes widened and she started crying. Reaching over, she pulled her daughter in for a hug, threatening to never let her go.  A brighter future lay ahead of them. 

My set piece is about a girl receiving a scholarship to a college, who had to work extremely hard to earn it. The main reason is to build a better life for her and her mom. I tried writing the set piece from a third person POV. When writing this set piece, one of my goals was using imagery, which is a way to add description,  to  set the setting of the story. An example of this in my set piece is when I describe the girl’s apartment by specifically writing about the peeling paint, and the dripping faucet.