Trying New Things | Teen Ink

Trying New Things

By shreekrithi_d1329 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
shreekrithi_d1329 BRONZE, Cupertino, California

The classroom doors were opened wide, and as I slowly entered the classroom, I was hit by anxious and eager murmurs.  I sat down gently on the big blue carpet at the center of the classroom as it were a thin piece of glass. 

I remembered the day when my mom assured me to go to Science Camp.  “It’s just almost four days only, and I am very sure that you are going to have lots of fun, each day at the camp!  I think, you should go!” 

“Ok?”, I said doubtfully, wanting to believe her.

I quickly glanced at the classroom, and then I sank into my deep thoughts. I am going to stay out in the woods in cabins for 4 days, and I wonder how it will feel like to stay away from my home for days! My heart was thumping as fast as lightning as I thought to myself.  Just then (my friend), Emma awakened me from my thoughts.  “Hey, come on, let’s go and put our luggages in the bus!”  

I got up by holding my luggages and when I lifted them, they were as heavy as mountains.  I just couldn’t believe that I am going to leave my home and stay in the woods for 4 days, wow! The thoughts just keep repeating in my mind as I walk slowly over to the bus.

“Could you please hand over your luggage?” The bus driver asked gently putting out her hand.  I hesitated for a few seconds. But then I handed over my three luggages and quickly ran over to the bus door, and climbed up the stairs. Luckily, there wasn’t a line to wait in, in the bus’s aisle, so I just sat quietly in a seat next to my friends.  Whoosh!  Bam! 

I took a quick peek at the bus driver tossing the luggages over to the back of the bus.  The luggages were like balls flying and landing on the ground.  My hands started to feel cold and clammy as soon as the bus swayed like it was starting to get ready for a race. 

“Off we go to YMCA Science camp fifth graders! Yay!” Mrs.Malat my teacher shrieked cheerfully.

“Hi, whazzup?” Emma asks me. “Oh, I feel terrified! I replied.  “Don’t worry I think we are going to have lots of fun at the camp!” My friend whispered to me. “Yeah, I hope so.” I doubted her as I peered out the window.

“I am super excited to go to Science Camp!” Emma screamed quietly.  Well, not me! I disagreed with her to myself.

I could see worries showing up on the faces of our parents who were standing near the buses, but proud at the same time because they were sending us to Science Camp for four days.  I waved bye to my anxious parents.  “Bye mom and dad!” Everyone’s voices were overlapped as I blurted out. 

Clack! As soon as the bus doors closed shut, it was suddenly filled with noisy chatters! Then, the bus slowly started its engine and began to move steadily out of the school parking lot and on to the busy road. 

Bump! Bump! Boom bam! 

The bus moves up and down as it travels to Science Camp. 

“Oh no.” I moaned.

Unlike, before I reached YMCA Outdoor School Science Camp, It was three days later I ran up to my friend feeling like a weight was just lifted off my shoulders and with my head higher.

“Hey, I thought you were terrified to come here, you seem to be happy?” Emma reminded me.

“Well I am not anymore terrified!  Let’s just say that I can stay here for just a few more days!  I enjoyed the science camp! Carnival, dance party, gardening, hide and seek and many more!  It wasn’t as bad as I thought!” I giggled.

“Wow, me too!  See, you try and everything gets...solved!” She said.  “Yes, of course!” I mutter to myself. 

I felt proud that I at least tried and now I overcame my fears!  I thought to myself.

“Now, I want to come here again”, I shrieked as I give my luggages to the bus driver.

“Me too!”, Emma laughed.

This piece is dedicated to my friend who helped my overcome my fears.