Crystal Raindrops | Teen Ink

Crystal Raindrops

By nightsranger PLATINUM, Sevenoaks, Other
nightsranger PLATINUM, Sevenoaks, Other

Wanting things you can't have makes you want them more and more, sometimes it's better to let it go...

Walking down the boulevard, the streetlights twinkle as the sunlight fades. A soft sheet of rain shields my vision and I catch the raindrops in my mouth while they tap-dance. I gasp the stale air that fills my empty heart and grasp at the shadow that keeps running away. Off the main road I plough on. One turn then two. My insides churn as the light on the horizon slips away; replaced by parallel walls that stand on both ends of my conscience.  
I shout, but I’m hit by my own echo. I scream, but it reverberates indefinitely along the only pathway in front of me. I’m walled off by my own insecurities, and I’m drowning from the voices in my head. As my mind sank underwater, my heart spluttered in waves of emotions upon realising the site of the shipwreck. Suddenly, I’m standing in the spotlight. Suddenly, I’m high in the clouds lost in my dreams and fantasies, filled to the brim with false hope.   
A dark mist blew its scent over my head.  I feel adrenaline ripping through my body and a force tearing my stomach open from the inside. The dams I had built to keep off the roaring torrent broke down, shattered, razed to the ground. The wind picked up and the damp leaves are blown high in the sky. Spiralling above my head, they act as a signal for the upcoming thunderstorm. Unwilling, I move my rooted legs.  
I ran.  
Chasing the ghost that remained so inevitably omnipresent, it was always in front of me. It was always out of reach.  
I turn my head, left then right. While I sprint, the walls close in on me, crumbling slowly as they threaten to collapse, suffocating my still-beating heart. The wind howls in my ears, a deep cry of pain and agony. A sharp cry of alarm. My mind picked up on these signals: alas there is no way back. My legs carried me faster still, flying over the broken bodies that lay on either side of the burning alleyway. Deep inside, I knew this was a race I couldn’t win. My weakness was but I keep trying, I keep going. The remains of my dam are being swept downstream with a current of desires, while the walls of this torched city are collapsing fast.  
Then, as it always does, the dark shadow I was chasing stopped in front of me. However, my legs tumble onwards so that I can’t stop, I can’t fly, I can’t breathe. I might die. I thought.  
I ran closer and closer still to the outline. Just when the details began to take shape, they stop. My heart stops. I’m caught between two worlds, a world of desire and a world of: oh so lovely sunshine, rainbows, and butterflies. My thoughts caught up to one another as I caught up with the shadow, I was no longer a clown on a tightrope, that hopeless boy shouting in the waves. Nevertheless, as my feelings evaporated, so did the figure. Instead of it was an endless ravine, a depthless cliff, and the end of my echoes.  
I tried to stop myself, but I stumbled, I tumbled, and my never tied shoelaces fumbled upon one another. I threw myself over the edge with a bitter tenacity. I fall, no I’m not, I am floating. The next second I’m flying: over the maze of my miseries, over my boulevard of broken dreams. I landed in a bed of dandelions, and as I squinted up above, I saw a rainbow, fresh after the torrent.  
An angel is speaking words to me; I can’t focus. I’m high, oh so high. Taking a step back – I listened closely. A song is playing “You think she’s adorable, she thinks that you are intolerable, once you feel unstoppable, you run into an obstacle. Isn’t life beautiful, I think that Life is beautiful.” Silently, I took off my headphones, and flopped onto my bed. I checked the time: 1:03. I close my eyes, and went to a galaxy far away, a galaxy where I’m lying under a bed of beautiful stars.  

What love can do to you.