Another Day | Teen Ink

Another Day

February 1, 2023
By AHSwriting2023 PLATINUM, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
AHSwriting2023 PLATINUM, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
21 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The new day sounds like a slight ringing in the sailor's ears after a long day on the water, finally sobering up. I just wanted to stay in bed all day. There was no point. School smells musty, dark, depression, to which I contribute. My mom walks in telling me to get up and at it. It’s her daily good morning. I roll off the side of my bed, the gray carpet underneath me, I hoped it would just swallow me up. But it doesn’t. So I walk downstairs. I go into the bathroom, brush my knotting hair, and put some cologne on, maybe then I won’t smell like death. I put on some sweatpants and a hoodie. Nobody notices me anyways, so why dress up? I skip breakfast and begin my walk to school. The crunch of the frosted grass feels like an emptiness, the grass is taking its final breath. If only I could do the same. 

I walk into the building, where everyone is clinging together. The tiles on the floor looked grayer than ever. The color is gone. It’s black and white, with shades of gray. I walk into my first class. The room smelled like rust and a hopeless future. Another girl walks in. She has her hoodie up. I couldn’t see her face. The teacher looks at her in disgust. I’ve never seen her. She pulls her hoodie down. It’s Sam. Her blonde hair gave off that popular hot girl summer era. Makeup streamed down her face. I looked at her and laughed. 

“What’s wrong now?” I laughed. “Princess had to do a chore?”

“Screw off, Jack.” Sam flipped her hood back up and dropped her head.

Sam was the only color I could see. She was stunning, she was gorgeous. She was like a new summer day, color, birds chirping, everything. I made fun of her, out of fear she’d reject me. I laughed some more.

“You’re fine,” I said. I knew it was her boyfriend. Through the streamed makeup, you could see a slight yellow, a beginning of a bruise. 

Sam would kill me if I confronted her. Her boyfriend is a pitbull, strong, powerful, and relentless. He didn’t know I used to be best friends with her. If he ever found out, we’d both be dead. I couldn’t talk to her. I stood up and walked out of the class. It’s even blacker than the hallways. I saw Sam look up and watch me walk off. The sparkle in her eye made it feel like there was hope for us. Sam and I would get out of this hell. I found Noah in the hallway. I wanted to do what he did to Sam. He was laughing and motioning about what he did to Sam. His friends laughed. Why hurt a gentle, innocent girl? She was like a golden retriever, bright, happy, and clumsy. I walk behind Noah and “accidentally” trip. I grab him around the neck and fell with him. I muttered in his ear, “watch your back.”

Part of me felt scared, his presence was a ghost. Cold and heartless. But the other part of me just didn’t care. Just kill me now, Noah. I thought. I didn’t care. I don’t want to be here. It’s the same stupidity, just a different day. I walk out of the deathly school and don’t look back. School didn’t matter to me anyway. Sam was the only reason I went. 

“Jack!” I heard someone scream behind me. I was half expecting it to be a teacher. God, these teachers just don’t ever leave us alone. I turn around. It was Sam. 

“What do you want?” I put on a smile. 

Sam ran into my arms and just hugged me. I stood there. I’ve never felt the comforting touch, like the smooth touch of a bird's feather. I slowly wrapped my arms around her, afraid she’d jump. But instead, her knees buckled and went to the ground. I held her in my arms while going to my knees with her. She was so precious. I put one hand on her blonde, knotted hair, it was like rats ran through her perfect hair. I rub her back. Maybe I do care. I care about Sam. I care about living for her. I pull away and wipe her tears. 

“My place?” I need to act tough.

Sam punches my shoulder, “It probably is a disaster.” she smiles a little.

That perfect smile. Brings back memories of summer, brings back memories of our friendship. Her smile was like a mother's hug. I was safe. I genuinely smile back. My first real smile in a long time. 

“Yeah, but it’s not like a tornado ran through it.” 

So we go. We go to my place and ditch school together. We bring back our friendship. I gave her comfort and serenity. She gave me comfort and happiness. I keep my hope. Colors swarmed me. I saw colors I’d never seen before. Everything was colorful. I am alive again. I want to be here. I care. 


The author's comments:

This piece incorporates the usage of synthesis and topics about vague mental health.