First Memory | Teen Ink

First Memory

By ChloeMulderink BRONZE, Timnath, Colorado
ChloeMulderink BRONZE, Timnath, Colorado

My brother was standing, towering over me, lights flickering. We stretched out the measuring tape, a blade in my hand. He began to slowly walk backwards, one step followed by another. Once the measure clicked, he stopped. “Keep going!” I yell. But no response. He stands there, silently. “Shhh…” He finally speaks. “Listen.” Thump… thump… thump… Each step getting louder, and closer. I can hear her sharp nails scratching against the railing in the tall, dark, stairwell. The steps continued and I began to sweat. A terrible feeling words cannot describe. I can hear her breath, getting closer, and closer. I freeze. A tall, dark, figure, with long hair appears in front of me. I hesitate, not knowing what to say. The sharp end of the measuring tape goes flying towards him. Chop… We stood there for a moment, all three of us, my brother and mom, in awe. What have I done!!! All of a sudden, my brother bursts into tears. He looks down to see his hand covered in blood, and falls to the floor. I can sense the anger in my mother. My mother picks up my brother and carries him to the car, his finger just barely hanging on. The entire car ride there was a rollercoaster. Yelling, crying, fighting, more crying. But now we sit and laugh about it, a happy family, all of us with five fingers. Well… almost all of us.

This is a true story from when I was younger and cut my brothers finger off