Satisfaction | Teen Ink

Satisfaction

April 10, 2023
By bapti SILVER, Tirana, Other
bapti SILVER, Tirana, Other
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

                                                  Satisfaction

       There are 9 seconds left on the clock and I can feel the crowd's pressure on me. My sweat is going down my neck and my heart is beating faster than I could fathom. I'm shaking but, I know that I can pull this off, as I get closer, my confidence is going through the roof, my blood is getting thicker, and I can feel ice in my veins. I know that I'm the greatest.

       Coach Henry is analyzing something as I glance at him. I then realize there are 7 seconds on the clock. I made my teammate set a screen for me by calling him. I advanced with the ball in the direction of the 3-point line's left corner. I get pumped up by the crowd's energy, so I try my luck. I lock in and pay attention as I jump. I watch the ball travel flawlessly to the hoop with the force that I applied, it appears to be a close shot... I watch the clock as it counts down as it goes 4, 3, 2, 1. Then, in an unbelievable way, the ball goes right in the buzzer.

        The fans go crazy. The guards are preventing the crowd from rushing the court, with all their power to do so. “You don't know me son!”, I yell as I sprint through the court as if replying to what the haters said to me when I was on my quest. My coach approaches me when I have calmed down and says, "Congratulations, buddy." Even though I'm thrilled, I realize that I want more as I get sprayed by champagne by my teammates. At midnight we leave the locker room and head to our hotel while drunk.

The next morning when I woke up and heard my teammates knocking at the door and shouting at me. So, I get up, put on my bathrobe and walk to the door. I open the door and they say,” Ready to go to the sea? It's going to be fun. We got girls, drinks, jet skis, yachts and much more. Come on let's go Bryant!”

“I don’t want to go. I'm too tired guys, have fun out there.”, I said tiredly.

My teammate, “What! Are you serious, why the heck don’t you want to go?”

“Sorry guys, as I said my head is aching, I'm sick from last night.”, lying to them.

“All right have fun at home then Bryant.” , They said as they got onto the team bus.

On my game-winning shot, I kept thinking and thinking. Despite knowing that it was too simple, I felt wonderful. Earning something the hard way had much greater value than doing so fluently. I thought it was too effortless. Since it would have been far more rewarding, I wanted to lose and then win the championship. Unfortunately, I won the title 1 day ago and there was nothing I could do to change it.

I thought of the kids who want to win the NBA championship or even just want to go to the NBA. I felt like a very selfish person for thinking like that. I kept on thinking and then I realized 2 hours had passed.

I hear a knock on the door. Walking slowly, I opened the door and saw my coach. He said,

"What's the matter? I know that you aren't sick. Even if you were, I know that you would go to that party. You can't hold yourself when it comes to women.”, He laughed “So, what's the problem let's talk.”

“I'm not satisfied enough Coach.”, I said in my bathrobe with a new boxer I wore to open the door.

“I knew it but why?”, My coach said while sitting on a chair.

Pouring sparkling water for the coach, "Well I have worked crazy to get in the NBA but after that it was easy. I just don’t get it. I thought it would be harder.”

Taking a large sip of the drink, "Are you alright? Obviously, you put in a ton of work to get into the NBA. You participated in each game of the season in your first year. Even though you didn't carry the franchise during the playoffs, you still contributed to its success. When the score was 81 to 83 in game 7 of the NBA finals, you made a three-pointer to give us the victory. Do you not realize what you did? You're saying it was simple when it was really challenging.”

“You are right Coach, I now understand that the journey was hard but my eagerness to go to my limits is still there, I'm not satisfied with my performance in the playoffs and the regular season. I want to be the leader of my team.”, I said in a very serious way.

“I thought you were a very humble player but with your unsatisfaction I don’t think you have a place in this team. I want players who know their role and unfortunately you aren't one of them.”, said Coach Henry

The coach then departs the hotel room to speak with the Golden State Warriors, the NBA's worst team, after finishing his speech. They consent to a four-year, $130 million contract. After that, I came to San Francisco and began my new life as a star athlete seeking vengeance.


The author's comments:

This is a nice fiction story about a NBA player.