Piano Words | Teen Ink

Piano Words

By nature-elf PLATINUM, Ramsey, New Jersey
nature-elf PLATINUM, Ramsey, New Jersey

"If love is shelter, I'll walk in the rain." -Anonymous

The way it stared at me. A glassy black fog over my doom, my endless waiting for me to join her.
My sister.
She was always there--always, always. I never thought I'd be the one to take her away.
Sissy used to sit by me, I remembered, easing into the piano chair. She'd tell me what I played wrong, what I played passionately, but...I'd never given too much of a thought. Why did it bother me so much now?
My hands laced the white and black keys. I willed them to play.
For Sissy.
Just for Sissy.
It began slowly, softly at first. Then it wound up and down, beautiful and perfect at every measure.
I fell into the past.

"Don't you remember? It's in six eight time, not four four. Play it again."
I sighed, but turned back to the piano. One two three four, one two three four...

And again, I flew back to reality. Sissy wouldn't want me to remember my tries. She'd want me to remember what I learned. How to count time, how to keep the beat steady, how to fly across the scales without looking...
I reached another segment of the piece. Faster and faster I began to play the winding song, twirling inside and out without a second's thought.
"Play for me, little girl. Play for me."
Those words sent a shock down my spine, but still I went on. Because the voice told me so.
"Play, girl, play."
Sissy's voice echoed in my mind. Empty words then, heartfelt ones now.
I played.
"Why now do you play so well? Please, girl, continue. It's beautiful."
Yes, I thought. It's beautiful. For you.
The song was close to ending. I closed my eyes, crying softly. Fingers traced the keys, my eyes too blurred to see any longer.
The final chord struck me.
And I cried for my loss.

I don't know why I did this, but I wrote it down when I was playing "River Flows In You" by Yiruma. It's a beautiful piece. But that's not exactly why I thought of it. I just finished "Along Came A Spider" by James Patterson (about murders and kidnappings), so you smash them together and I came up with this.
The plot starts when Sissy is murdered when the little girl is playing the same song remembering. Her family moves out, but when she returns a few years later, she remembers what happened clearly. A moving story in my opinion. Oh, and by the way, I just made this up, so I didn't have time to revise. Tell me if there's any mistakes!

dragonfan SILVER, Arcidia, Indiana

"Death truly makes an artist"

this is cool i really liked it keep it up!

nature-elf PLATINUM, Ramsey, New Jersey

hey, thanks. i just made this up randomly a few months ago. if you want to know, i actually forgot it for a little bit...thanks anyway. i like people looking over the work, though sometimes it's pretty bad.

forgetmeknot said...
i think its great