Trapped | Teen Ink

Trapped

By Wemzy BRONZE, Lagos, Other
Wemzy BRONZE, Lagos, Other

"Nkem! Nkem! why dis gal no dey answer me" My boss shouted from across the room. I heard when she called me but I didn't want to answer because I was thinking of what I was going to do that night and I was tired of it. I could not take it anymore, but there was nothing I could do, I had to send money to my family that were in the village. I stood up immediately I heard the anger in my boss's voice and went to her room immediately.

I entered the room and I could see her inhaling and exhaling the smoke from the cigarette in her hands, I could see the anger in her eyes and she was ready to slap me any moment from now. "No vex, madam beatrice, I no hear when you dey call me". I said shakily.

" You no dey ok at all, na me you dey count voice for abi. Anyway, I no blame you, you dey go with Chief Hazmat this night. Hin say e like the way you do am last time. Oya go get ready, I no like all these slow slow things wey you dey do" She replied, still smoking the cigarette. 

I exited the room hurriedly and went to the room where me and fourteen others were staying. We were all doing the same thing obviously.

Madam Beatrice was the one that convinced my mum that I should come to Lagos. We were from the same state and she usually came to visit her parents in Enugu. My dad died when I was five, and my mum was left to take care of three children. I had two elder brothers, who were struggling in Enugu. I could remember the day my mum came to meet me, I had finished secondary school two years before and couldn't further my education due to the fact that my mum didn't have the money.

" Nkemdilim!," my mum shouted from the sitting room.

" Oya come come ". I left the plates I was washing outside and ran into the house immediately"

" Mama what is the matter", I said breathing heavily.

"Shey you know Beatrice now",She replied, smiling.

" Yes i know her, Mazi Okonkwo's daughter" I said, looking confused.

" Well she said you should come and work for her in Lagos, she owns a cloth store and she wants to employ you. she said that if you are ready, she will take you to Lagos when she is going, in the next two days"

I agreed to follow her immediately, because I thought that I will make some money and save up to further my education but little did I know that my doom just started.

I was brought to a brothel and when I confronted Madam Beatrice about it, she told me she gave my mum some money before leaving Enugu and I should be prepared to pay for the debt. I was sad, but there was nothing I could do. My hopes were dashed and my dreams were shattered.

I am also hooked on drugs like methamphetamine and other drugs to keep me active because in a week I usually sleep with eight to ten men. I don't know when I will be free from this bondage, my mum knows nothing, she only hears from me when I send money to her. She doesn't know where I'm getting money from or she probably thinks I get that kind of money from the cloth store. I'm trapped in this life, no one is coming for me and I have accepted my fate.

This piece will expose the readers on the dangers of prostitution and it also explains that some of them are there because they have to survive not because they like what they do.