Young Crimes | Teen Ink

Young Crimes

February 13, 2024
By Keenan_Strehlow BRONZE, Theresa, Wisconsin
Keenan_Strehlow BRONZE, Theresa, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In the summer of 2023 Ayden finally convinced his parents to let him hang out, Ayden instantly picks up his phone to message the group chat. 

He sees that Keenan already left a message asking “Who wants to hang out?” 

Ayden replies with, “I finally can.”

“Bet,” Gavin responds. 

Kaden opens the group chat messages and already knows to meet everyone else at Keenan’s house. Ayden walks out his front door onto the front porch and grips his bike's handlebars to stand it up and walk it down to where his driveway starts. He hops on and goes down his driveway speeding further on the hill at the bottom. Gavins is right there as well on his longboard following behind Ayden and his bike. He can feel his legs working harder and harder as he pedals through the streets of Theresa. When the two arrive at Keenan's house Kaden was already there.

“What are we going to do?” Kaden questioned.

“I don’t know!” Keenan exclaimed as he climbed his stairs and the rest followed into his bedroom. Keenan opens a case and grabs the neck of his bass guitar shortly after Ayden reaches for his electric guitar and they both plug the aux cords in and turn on the amps. Keenan turns on his speaker and plays “Living Dead Girl” by Rob Zombie and Ayden starts out by sliding his finger closer to the body of his guitar and Keenan plays the notes of the songs starting on the A string and they both play through the song.

“Let's go,” Keenan demands.

“Where?” Gavin questioned.

“Anymore I’m bored,” Keenan responds

“Me too,” Kaden agreed

“Let’s go to the semi-trailer park,” Ayden suggested. 

They all agreed Keenan, Kaden, and Gavin all grab their longboards as Ayden walks towards the garage where he left his bike. When Ayden gets into the garage he notices his old skateboard that he left here about 2 months ago. He picks it up and hops on and follows the rest with Keenan leading and Kaden shortly behind, Gavin falls back a bit to be next to Ayden.

“What’re we going to do?” Gavin questioned Ayden’s idea.

“We’re going into the old warehouse,” Ayden responded. 

Keenan and Kaden wait for them by the candy shop on Milwaukee Street when they catch up and all of them turn left. Soon they pass the gas station and get onto the block which Ashton lives on and just at the end of this block there’s the right turn they must take to get onto the road of the semi-trailer park. When they arrive Keenan picks up his board and immediately starts walking to the warehouse located in the far back of the lot Ayden jogs up getting next to Keenan.

“What door are we going through?” asks Ayden.

“The one behind the containers,” Keenan responded.

Gavin and Kaden follow them, not sure where they’re going but they don’t ask. On their way to the door Keenan and Ayden hop over a small wall about 3 feet high of concrete and through some weeds and to the door. They open the door to find it completely empty. Only things in there were a small paint bucket, a paintbrush. and some cigarette butts. They explored a bit more and went into a few different rooms, some rooms having some more things laying around. 

“That light just turned on,” Keenan claimed.

“Where?” Ayden questioned.

“In the room over there by the main entrance,” Kaden responded

“Let’s get outta here,” Gavin stated in a slight panic.

“Who’s in here?’ They heard a man ask coming from the room.

“Go go go!” Keenan exclaimed.

“I’m calling the cops!” The man exclaimed.

They ran out of the building out the back and they found a truck unlocked with the keys in it.

“Let’s take this,” Ayden suggested.

Heck no, are you stupid?” Keenan asked.

“It’ll attract more attention to us,” Gavin stated.

They all agreed to just get out of that lot before the officer got there. They all hopped on their skateboards and rode them away for a long time away from the town. Soon Ayden realized we were over by his mom’s boss's house.

“We can get to a trail over there and to the cemetery behind the gas station,” Ayden stated.

“We’ll do that and if a cop sees us we can say we were just messing around in the cemetery,” Kaden said.

They follow behind Ayden as he cuts down some bushes with his pocket knife and Keenan does the same with his switchblade. Soon they reach the trail and continue running. Soon they reach a small pod where they rest for about 15 mins and wait until the cops get to the lot.

“Let’s keep going,” Keenan demands.

“How long is the trail?” Gavin complained.

“Only a little bit yet shut up,” Ayden responded.

They kept going down the grass path. When they reach over a small hill they see a pair of truck headlights. They rush back towards the opening down to the pond and wait in the bushes for the truck to pass. After the truck's loud muffler passes they lift up their bodies and keep walking down the trail to the cemetery.  Soon they see the opening to the cemetery. When they get into the cemetery they sit on a bench for a minute.

“You think the cops are gone man?” Keenan asked.

“Probably,” Ayden said.

“Let’s go,” Gavin demanded.

They all walk towards the road where they then dropped their boards and start pushing back into the heart of the town. When they reach the bridge over the rock river officer Webber stops them and asks.

“Where are you guys coming from?”

“We were messing around in the cemetery,” Keenan states

“Okay well I had someone call about some kids in the warehouse over by the semi lot do you guys know anything about that?” Webber asks.

“No we heard some sirens but that was all we know of it,” Keenan responds.

“Alright you guys can go,” Webber states.

“Alright have a good day,” Kaden says.

They all boarded back to Keenans house, not saying a word about it.


The author's comments:

This piece is a memory that me and my friends share and is one of the many things of mischief that we all got into over the summer of 2023.