My Gift, My Redemption | Teen Ink

My Gift, My Redemption

By IntelligentZombie GOLD, Gastonia, North Carolina
IntelligentZombie GOLD, Gastonia, North Carolina

The hardest advice to take is your own.

The fluffy little puppy sits by my feet, panting. His long, wet tongue lolls out of his mouth and his round brown eyes seem to smile as I pull a treat out of my purse. My purse smells like dog snacks now, though just a few months ago it smelled like cherry flavored lip gloss and cheap perfume. As I look at his sweet, fuzzy little face I remember what I was like without him, and what he was like without me. Those few months ago I was…I don’t even want to say. I was fake from top to bottom, and all my “friends” would have betrayed me the moment they had the chance. A few months ago the puppy was a starving orphan in an alley. I was coming back from a party, mascara stained tears running down my face, when I heard a whimper. I turned and saw the golden lab, the very soul of innocence. He didn’t deserve to live alone, defenseless, in this cold alley. So I took him home. I fed him, taught him not to relieve himself on my expensive new rug, and eventually I stopped caring about the damn rug and threw it away. So now as I bend down and hand the snack to my little friend, reminding myself that I don’t need to baby speak to him, I thank the puppy silently for giving me myself back.

I think a lot of us lose ourselves sometimes, and having a friend can never hurt.

BriarRose PLATINUM, Seneca, Illinois

I don't need a rose. I want a daisy you picked for my hair. I don't want some fancy box of chocolate. I want a pink frosting cookie you made just for me. Lets skip the upscale restaraunt and have a picnic in the park.

wow, this is so sweet; i dont know what i'd do without my furry friend