"Cut, Cut, Cut" | Teen Ink

"Cut, Cut, Cut"

September 1, 2009
By Suzie17 GOLD, West Monroe, Louisiana
Suzie17 GOLD, West Monroe, Louisiana
19 articles 0 photos 29 comments

I got home from school today. Everyone made fun of me. And I cut, cut, cut. "How was school today?" Mom asks. "Fine," I reply. She doesn't need to know.
Then I went to work. My boss cursed at me for doing things wrong. He got violent. It was all my fault. And I cut, cut, cut. "How was your job?" Mom asks. "Fine," I say. She doesn't need to know.
I went to school again. They had started rumors about me. I ran to the school bathroom. And I cut, cut, cut. My Mom was at work. She didn't ask me how school was. "Fine," I reply to no one. No one needs to know.
My boss yelled at me again. I brought someone the wrong order. I hid my tears until it was time to leave. "Fine," I say before she can ask as I run up the stairs to my room. And I cut, cut, cut. No one needs to know.
I cover up my arms and I head to school again. Today was very hot. They laughed and made fun of my long-sleeve shirt. They didn't understand. I didn't even answer this time. Nor did she ask. I just ran. Then I cut, cut, cut. No one will ever know.
My boss says I'm too incompetent. He says I can't do anything right. This upsets me, moreso the fact that I agree. I cry. I run. She calls. I run. Then I cut, cut, cut. She comes. I cover up my arms. "Fine," I say as only I notice the blood begin to seep through my sleeve. She leaves. She doesnt need to know.
I got ready for school again. My mom drops me off. "Honey, is something wrong?" "No, Mom, nothing's wrong." I felt guilty, like my deep secret was eating my insides until I was nothing. But I couldn't tell. So I cut, cut, cut. And it didn't stop. It never stopped. I lost too much. Things had gotten out of control, but it was too late. I had cut. It didn't stop. I lost too much. Now she'll never know.

The author's comments:
Even though this is fiction, cutting is very real. Many teens get so overwhelmed by all the drama in their lives, they think there's no way out. And they think cutting is the answer. But it isn't. The only way out is to tell someone who you know won't judge you and cares about you. Because there is someone who cares about you, no matter who you are or where you live or what you do.