Miracle | Teen Ink

Miracle

By Diabetic_Wonder GOLD, Michigan Center, Michigan
Diabetic_Wonder GOLD, Michigan Center, Michigan

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams" ---- Dr. Seuss

Now:

Raindrops fall against her window as she sits and stares. It’s been days since she’s got up from her spot by the window. Nobody seems to notice, so she stays put.

A memory:

“Hey you need a ride?” the cute guy from her chemistry class was driving by.

She looked down at her drenched clothes and realized how cold she was.

“Sure,” she answered him. He smiled and opened the passenger side door for her.

Now:

She sees blotches form on the ceiling as she leans her head back. The dark blotches form a shape, the shape of his head and face. Her tears start to flow again, leaving blackish-brown streaks on her face.

A memory:

“I have some bad news,” he wasn’t looking at her, but instead at the stearing wheel, memorizing every line, color and detail.

Even though she was fearing what he would say, she asked anyway. “What is it?”

He took a deep breath and didn’t remove his eyes from the wheel. “I’m leaving,” he paused, leaving her no space to ask questions. “Tomorrow,”

Now:

“Breaking news!” the T.V. blared and she forced herself to turn her head from the window to the television.

“Our news cast is at the scene of the crash,” she examined the T.V. screen and recognized the plane as his.

“There appears to be no survivors,” more tears fell from her eyes.

A memory:

“Will you come back?” she whispered, holding back her crying. She wanted to be strong for him.

A sly smile crept across his face while he pushed a piece of hair behind her ear. “I will always come back for you! I love you!”

Now:

“Oh wait, what’s this?” the news lady turned around, putting hope into the girl’s heart.

“No way! The appears to be a survivor!” dead silence was the only thing heard from the television set and her.

“Unbelievable! There is!”

She looked at the screen and automatically knew who the survivor was!

She was wearing two necklaces. One was from valentines day, and one was from him, in case he never came back. She very gently took off the second necklace and set it down. The rain stopped and the room was flooded with the late afternoon sunshine!