Loser | Teen Ink

Loser

February 6, 2010
By DallysGrrl PLATINUM, Middlesex, New Jersey
DallysGrrl PLATINUM, Middlesex, New Jersey
20 articles 0 photos 199 comments

He was my best friend. My absolute best friend. And to watch him get ridiculed like that...he didn't deserve it.
I was too chicken to stand up for him. The guys were all tall and strong.
Keith shook with fear as the boys shoved him around.
Surely a teacher would come soon....come on, please....any second now.
"Geek!" They all shouted. "Nerd! Loser!"
Come on....any second now a teacher should rush over and save the day....
The football players began to make a circle around him, pushing him around and around the group.
Suddenly Keith screamed, and there was the sound of a pair of wire-rimmed glasses snapping in half.
Keith's dad had payed $200 for those glasses.
A crowd had started to gather now. They were all chanting for a fight. I watched on in horror, like the little coward I was.
I prayed for a teacher. Or anyone who had enough guts to run and get a teacher.
"Fight fight fight!" They all yelled.
Keith couldn't defend himself against all of these 8th grade football players.
"Say you're a loser!" one shouted. "Admit you're a geek!"
I heard Keith refuse, and these was a sickening thud, like the sound of flesh hitting flesh, and I listened as Keith fell to the cold tile floor.
The crowd dispersed, because everyone knew that a teacher would be told as soon as someone got hurt.
The football players ran. Keith was left lying on the ground, his broken glasses at his side.
I sprinted over to him and fell to my knees by his side.
"Are you okay?" I urgently asked him.
His red hair was plastered to his forehead with sweat and his green eyes darted around.
"Am I a loser?" he whispered to me. He had a bruise forming around his left eye.'
"Of course not, Keith!" I said.
But he wasn't paying attention to me. "Am I a loser for being who I am? Am I loser because I'm not scared to be different?"
He took a deep breath. "Well, if that makes me a loser....Then I AM a loser. I'm the biggest loser ever."
And then he was silent as we waited for a teacher in the middle of the school hallway.
And then I thought....I wish everyone was a loser like Keith.


The author's comments:
I hope that anyone reading this will realize that when people are calling you a loser or a geek just because you're different, don't change. Be a loser. Be a geek. I am. And I love it. Everyone out there that isn't afraid to be themselves and is ridiculed for it....you should love it too. Because a bunch of those bullies that push us around will be working for us one day.