From Love to Lust to Lost | Teen Ink

From Love to Lust to Lost

By AshleyEWong PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
AshleyEWong PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

She reluctantly walks into the rundown but eminent coffee-house. Looking into the emerald eyes of her new beloved, her past memories inevitably flash back and she unsuccessfully tries to erase them from her mind. The pair sits down and motions for a waiter who seems to recognize her, but keeps silent. She orders what she has always ordered before: a cappuccino and a dark chocolate mousse. Feeling the need to freshen up, she walks (carrying herself in a graceful manner) to the lavatory. Then, as if in slow motion, another loving couple walks by and takes the table behind them.
Instantaneously, she glances back and recognizes his silhouette. Torn between rushing over and securing her arms around his waist and running to the bathroom to cry – she calmly chooses neither. With composure (but not as graceful as before) she strolls to the lavatory. Once inside the restroom, she vigorously washes her face with cold water and recovers. Reapplying her make-up and restyling her hair she confidently struts out with her stilettos. Taking her seat, her and her beau embrace and they start eating. Using the antique spoon, she gouges into his mango- pineapple sorbet and in the same manner, she feeds him as she fed her previous beloved.
Again, the memories overflow her mind like a tsunami rushing onto shore. The memories are unstoppable and she takes a bite of her mousse cake and somehow it doesn’t taste the same way. She wonders if the chef has been replaced. She receives her reply when the waiter answers, “No, sir, our chef has been the same for the past 25 years” to the concerned customer behind her. Recognizing his deep baritone voice makes her feel like she’s burning. Taking off her black blazer, she reveals a plunging deep purple dress. Her beloved asks her if she would like to try some of his mocha with whipped cream. She nods and her face is enlightened with a genuine smile, acknowledging that someone really does love her and cherish her.
Her napkin drops and as she leans over to pick it up, she can hear the deep baritone voice accompanied by a softer voice laughing and talking. She grabs hold of the napkin, and feels proud of herself for ending their relationship, because now they have both found better halves. Midway straightening her body to put the napkin back on the table, it falls to the floor again. A familiar hand slips into her freshly manicured hand and pulses it. She shifts around and looks into those hazel hued eyes and he stares back. She lets go and turns back around.
Opening her mouth to let in a spoon of mango- pineapple sorbet, she examines her boyfriend’s gentle facial features and her eyes skim over his forehead (which crinkles whenever he is concerned about her). Then, she feels a finger gently drawing a shape of a heart on palm of her hand. She giggles and looks into those comforting emerald eyes but the notices his left hand is holding his mocha and his right hand is holding his spoon. Taken aback, she realizes her right hand is being held by the familiar hand. She shakes it off and takes out her cell phone. He takes out his vibrating phone and his hazel colored eyes reads, “Wrong timing.”

Huangdi said...
Lovely piece of work. Good choice of words.

Thanks, that's what I'm trying to achieve!

Thank you for your encouragement!

I'm sorry, the above comment was meant for Love vs Thirst

Thanks, I was inspired to write this while reading "Interview with a Vampire" by Anne Rice. Twilight's plot is a bit cliche.

nicbocelli said...
Cute short story, keep writing!

kelli75 said...
Very romantic and detailed!