Dream Big; Prologue | Teen Ink

Dream Big; Prologue

By unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia
unwrittenlove DIAMOND, Mount Berry, Georgia

"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it dosent, then it was never meant to be" -anonymous

I brushed my fingers against the wood of the instrument, hoping for some inspiration. As I stood there waiting for some kind of sign, music softly drifted into my ears. I strained to hear it more clearly and sighed when I realized it had nothing to do with me. A cold hand touched my bare shoulder and I let a few tears trail down my face.

“Are you sure you’re doing the right thing?” My best friend, Marley waited behind me, hoping I would answer.

“I hope so. I just can’t think of anything anymore. It like disappeared out of my head. So, I might as well put everything up,” I reply quietly touching the few papers stuffed into a drawer. Music notes stained the pages and I could make out a few words in my hand writing.

“Jennifer,” she started but I put a hand up to stop her. She ignored me. “How could something you want to do so much, make you hurt so badly inside?”

“It doesn’t hurt that bad.” I turn around to face my long-time friend. Her tall slender figure leaned against the door frame and she crossed her tanned arms. I looked up at her piercing blue eyes and forced a smile onto my face. With one swift motion she rubbed a tissue on my cheek.

“Your mascara is running,” she explained and I let a small giggle escape my lips. Marley groaned and pulled me out of the closet. She turned me to a floor length mirror on the door. “Jen, look at yourself. Are you doing the right thing?”

“Yes,” I stated without looking up. The silence grew longer as I pretended to study my freshly painted toenails. Finally, realizing that defeat was near, I swept my gaze upwards to the mirror. At first, I studied my wavy brown hair and dark blue (almost purple) eyes. I looked at my black tank-top and criticized the gray sweats I was wearing. “I don’t see anything.”

“Look closer Jen.”

I took a step forward and leaned in for a better look. Suddenly, I focused in on my face and was surprised at the changes. Dark circles curved underneath my eyes, and a zit was forming on my forehead. The colors in my cheeks were gone and so was my tan. I critiqued the dark black lines smearing my face and watched silently as a tear rolled once more down my cheek.

“What do you think?” Marley’s voice brought me out of my trance and I glanced at her reflection.

“I’m doing the right thing,” I answered once more in a clear voice. Uncertainty pained her features but she stepped back. I took one last look at the overcrowded closet before shutting the door. “Let’s go.”

I walked past the piano, not stopping to see where I once wrote my first song; past the racks of clothes that I used for recitals and sometimes just for fun; away from the mirrors that held many memories I couldn’t bear to see; and left the billboard which held every newspaper clipping and photo of me since I was 12. Marley followed just as silently and as she stood in the hallway I closed the door to my childhood for the very last time.

I was inspired by my friend who has never stopped dreaming big and shooting for the stars. :)