Beauty, the Beast | Teen Ink

Beauty, the Beast

March 30, 2010
By PippinP GOLD, Bolingbrook, Illinois
PippinP GOLD, Bolingbrook, Illinois
15 articles 0 photos 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
Faith is like learning to walk; you have to fall at first, but don't stay down. When in doubt, don't stop believing.


After each step, the lioness pauses, being careful not to scare her unsuspecting prey. She takes another step, her big paw touching the ground with stealthy care and silent ease. She digs her thick claws into the dirt and waits. Another step. The zebras in the open field don't have time to fully grasp what hit them. The breeze changes directions; one looks up . . . then another . . . then another. Her scent has reached them, and panic is starting to rise. One of the zebras cries out a warning, and the herd runs as one. The lioness leaps gracefully from her hiding place in the tall grass and runs with the herd. Her sharp golden eyes lock on a target, and her legs move even faster as her muscles pump and her heart races with anticipation. She flies to the side of her victim and in just moments seizes the creature. The zebra tries to resist the force of its predator as the sharp claws break its skin and sharp teeth grip its neck. She brings it down easily and waits for her mate.

The male lion comes along gradually and helps himself to an easy meal. When he is done, he sits back to lick his jaw as the lioness has her turn in feeding. He leaves her alone and starts walking back to his favorite shade, where he lays down and shakes his long, thick mane. He slowly gazes around the lonely savannah with his bright golden eyes and opens his mouth wide to yawn, revealing many sharp teeth. In time the lioness walks over to join his lazy rest. Her steps are not so stealthy now, but her muscles are still obviously working. The sun shines on her smooth golden coat, and her long tail twitches idly. Her eyes fixed on her destination, she moseys to her spot. The lioness lays next to the lion and yawns. She licks her paw casually before laying down her head and dozing off. The breeze plays with the lion's golden mane; he yawns loudly, lays his head on his paws, and closes his eyes. He is satisfied.


The author's comments:
Normally there are actually multiple female lions hunting together, but in this case I wanted to only focus on one.