The Graveyard Assailant | Teen Ink

The Graveyard Assailant

By Pancake1132 SILVER, Rochester, Minnesota
Pancake1132 SILVER, Rochester, Minnesota

Ch.1: The Graveyard Assailant

Rain pounded the graveyard. Gravity’s principles were being executed in full. Any dirt that laid on the ground had been metamorphosed into mud. The graves that lined the graveyard were in consecutive order; some were chipped and broken, some weren’t.

Due to the darkness, nothing could be seen. Due to the rain, nothing could be heard. So the rat did not hear the car approaching, but when the lights pierced the darkness and shed light, the rat fled.

The car came to an abrupt halt. Its lights remained on and the passengers of the car exited. The passengers were a man and a woman. The man stood half-a-foot taller than the woman and was sporting a pure black fedora. He was wearing sun-glasses despite the darkness of the night. His long trench coat stopped just inches before the muddy floor beneath him. The bottom half of his left ear was cut off and he was rather thin.

The woman next to him was wearing a long sleeve low-cut black jacket with tight black pants. Her long, black hair was pony-tailed and hanging on heir right shoulder. She, along with the man, was rather thin.
Their skin was the only non-black thing about the two of them. It was extremely pale and the man had deep bags under his eyes from his lack of sleep. Suddenly, a bright column of light erupted from the flashlight in the man’s right hand. He ran it over the graves with no success. The grave he was looking for was deeper in.
The two of them walked deeper into the maze of graves until the man came to a halt. His flashlight pointed at a grave three spots ahead.
“There it is,” said the woman. Her voice was soft.
“I see it.” The man said in reply, his voice was rougher and deep.
The two of them followed the necessary path to get to the grave. When they arrived, the man took his finger and brushed any water that accumulated on the headstone’s flat surface.

“Mark Skyten, nineteen eighty-one to two thousand and seven.”

The man let out a quiet chuckle after she spoke. “Ironic isn’t it.”

“Very much yes,” she said. She bent down to the ground and put her arms around the man. While putting her head on his shoulder she said. “Are you going to be alright?”

“Yes.” He replied, brushing the tears away from his face.

“You two were close.”

“We were brothers.” The man explained. “And he made the ultimate sacrifice in order to save us.”

“Tell me more about it.” She said. “I want to know everything.”

“It’s a long story.”

“I’m sorry, are you under the impression we’re on some sort of schedule? We have plenty of time.”

The man looked at her and then at the grave.

“It all started ten years ago….”

This is a piece from a bigger book called Skyten. This scene deals with the beginning of the book.