The Fiendship That Saved My Life | Teen Ink

The Fiendship That Saved My Life

June 13, 2010
By SimplyRachel PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina
SimplyRachel PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina
48 articles 6 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift, that's why we call it the present."
~Unknown
"Things change, friends leave, and life doesn't stop for anybody."
~Stepgen Chbosky


I wake up, it's 5:15am, and it’s to early for me. I lie on my back looking up at the ceiling, the room is still dark. I lay here thinking, thinking about you, and why you did this to me. I look over at my bedside clock it reads 6:30am.
I decide to get up, I go take a shower I turn on the water and step in. I feel the warm water run over my cold, fragile body. My shoulders relax and I sigh a long sigh. I can't seem to get you out of my head. You’re all I ever think about now. Now, after that day, that day that I always dreaded would come.
I get dressed, it's 7:10, I lie down on the couch, I'm tired and hurt. I get up and walk outside just as my bus arrives. I get on and walk to the back, I sit down alone. I pull out my iPod and turn it on. The picture, it was of us, on our first date.
You had on your pale blue t-shirt, it said I heart NYC. I was wearing my jean skirt and light pink tank top. My eyes fill up with tears and I wipe my eyes on my sleeve. I turn up my music to drown out the noise. The first song was Love Story that was our song.

I go through school not daring to look at you the whole entire day. I get home and turn on the TV to drown out the silent room. Suddenly my phone rings, it was your ringtone, I let it ring, than I took a deep breath and answered it. “Hello” my voice was faint and weak. “Yeah, I um, I need my jersey back.” You sounded so nervous, like you didn’t no what to say. “Ok” I said “I’ll bring it to you tomorrow.” I sighed and hung up the phone. I slowly walked up the stairs to get the jersey; I opened the door to my room and slammed it shut.

I open my closet and pull out a box from the back of the top shelf. I take the dark blue football jersey off the top; the rest of the box is everything else you have ever given me. From the first love note in 6th grade to the CD of my favorite band you gave me for our 4 month anniversary. I throw the jersey on my bed and put the box back on the shelf. I pick up the jersey and a small light pink piece of paper falls off. I shove the jersey in my bag and pick it up. I recognized it right away; it was the love note, the first one.

I opened it up and read it, Rebecca, I know you don’t like me much at all, but I love you. I have never met anyone like you before in my whole life. I just want you to give me a chance, if you hate me after that, than ok. But please just give me one chance. After that, if you still don’t like me you never have to talk to me again. Love, Jesse. My eyes filled up with tears, I remembered it all to well. I didn’t like you, but I gave you a chance. And now I love you, and I don’t want to let you go. You broke up with me, now you hate me, and I love you. Just the opposite of before, I wish we were still together.

I take the box back down and take the CD and the other notes out. I put on the CD and laid down on my bed. I read the other notes; they all brought back so many memories. I tried not to cry but I couldn’t help myself, the tears came streaming down. I ended up crying myself to sleep, I woke up at 3am and went to the bathroom and washed my face. I slipped on my nightgown and went back to bed. I fell asleep at about 4:00 and woke up 2 hours later.

It was 6am and I couldn’t go back to sleep, but it was to early to do anything else. I picked up my phone and dialed the number, my favorite number ever, the number of my best friend. It started to ring, 1 ring 2 rings 3 rings 4 rings 5 rings 6 rings 7 rings 8 rings. “Hello?” said the sleepy voice of my best friend Cory Marcus. “Oh, Cory I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you up.” “No problem.” Cory yawned. “I need to start getting up earlier anyways.” “So watcha need?” “I just need to talk. I can’t seem to get over Jesse and I don’t know why.”

Cory sighed, “Well I don’t know exactly how to help you with this one.” “I’d have to say relax and give it some time, you have to let time decide what to do.” “You know your right. Cory I don’t know what I’d do without you.” “Me either” Cory laughed. “Hey, Becca. Can I tell you something?” “Sure.” “--------------” “Cory?” “I don’t know what I would ever do without you either.” “Thanks Cory, well I gotta go get dressed, see ya at school.” “Ok, see ya.” I hung up the phone and sighed, if only Cory knew how I felt I thought. I threw my phone on my bed and went to go get dressed.

I got to school and Jesse ran up to me. “Here’s your jersey.” I said “Now leave!” I shouted. I started walking to class when I heard Cory’s voice and I hid. I don’t know why it just came to me to hide, so I did. “Dude you gotta stop wimping out.” “I know, I know.” Cory said “But every time I go to tell her I can’t bring myself to.” “Dude, you’re her best friend, Rebecca’s just that way, she’ll understand.” “I know she will but Jesses just broke up with her and I’m afraid that if I tell her now, she’ll be to emotional and won’t even want to be friends anymore.”

“Ok, fine. Don’t tell her than.” “It’s your choice though.” I didn’t see Cory the whole day and I couldn’t stop thinking about him either. I got out of school and Jesse ran up to me. “I thought I told you to leave me alone.” I said. “I know but I had to give you this.” Jesse held up the jersey, instead of his name on it anymore it said HAPPY FIFTH. “Let me get this straight.” I said. “You told me we were over so you could get your jersey back and than give it back to me for what would be our 5th anniversary?” “Yeah, I did.”

“Jesse you’re an idiot, I can’t believe I fell for you! I should have never given you a chance to begin with.” “Your not a real friend, Cory’s my real friend and if you’ll excuse me I have to go find him.” “Oh, and it’s over, for real this time!” I ran went to find Cory but I couldn’t so I decided to go home. I didn’t want to ride the bus so I went to cross the street. I looked both ways and went to cross than I heard a loud screech. “BECCA!” Cory yelled. He ran out after me and pushed me aside, right as the car came flying by. I closed my eyes, I heard nothing and I dared not to open them.

Slowly I opened my eyes and Cory lay still on the road. I heard sirens in the distance; an ambulance came by and picked up Cory. I ran to the hospital, it was 6 blocks away from the school. I ran up to the desk and asked what room Cory Marcus was in, room 313 on the 3rd floor. I took the stairs, going up 3 at a time. I ran in the room and Cory was laying on the bed with his eyes closed. His parents were already in there, they nodded and walked out. Mrs. Marcus shut the door softly behind them; I walked slowly towards the bad.

“Rebecca?” Cory asked. “Yes, it’s me.” “Cory why did you do that for me?” I asked. It’s now or never Cory, you can do it just tell her you love her. “Rebecca, I love you.” “You’re my best friend, I can’t live without you. I love you and I—” “I know you do, I overheard you earlier” “I love you too. I always have I just didn’t know how to tell you.” “Rebecca, promise me one thing.” “Anything.” “Promise me you’ll never forget me.” “Cory, you’re my best friend, and I love you. I could never forget you.”

“I’ll never forget you either.” Cory whispered. Then Cory closed his eyes and the monitors went dead. My best friend was dead because he risked his life to save the girl he loved.