The Moment That my Life Spun out of Control | Teen Ink

The Moment That my Life Spun out of Control

By writerofmusic SILVER, Eaton, Colorado
writerofmusic SILVER, Eaton, Colorado

\"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say.\" ~Anaïs Nin

Things ring true to you once in awhile. For me that once in awhile is almost everyday. My mom and Dad are journalists in New York City and so everything they say rings true. I want to be a journalist and trust me it is not because of my parents. I love the way the words flow out on to the paper. My high school teacher, Mr. Berny, wants me to enter every contest imaginable. I have entered most of them and won but that's not the point. A week ago my mother asked me if I wanted to go to London for a bit. There was one catch; Dad would be staying in New York. This was supposedly because we couldn't afford it but something about that just didn't ring true.

I was the morning of the 5th when my life spun out of control; slowly at first then faster. I was just getting my report on Global Warming off the computer when I heard mom and dad yelling at one another. I couldn't make out the words at first so I crept down the hall to their bedroom door.

Mom was screaming, “It is NOT because I have found someone else Josh! Why do you always assume the worst?”

Dad's voice was forced calm as it always was when he was mad, “Julie, I don't assume the worst but why else would you want to move out? I thought that we had this figured out? You are going to London in two days!”

“London! Oh London, its going to solve all our problems!” Mom yelled back at him.

I couldn't take it I ran back to my room and hurtled myself on my bed. Why was this happening! I knew something was wrong but I didn't expect this! Why couldn't it just be that mom was pregnant or we didn't have enough money? I heard silence down stairs and then my mom yelled at me to get ready for school.

The rest of the day was spent in silence. I couldn't get the fight out of my mind. Then two days later mom left for London. The house was empty and Dad wasn't the same as mom. We would spend hours of awkward silence together before I would say I had to go to bed and then go upstairs and check to see if mom had texted me. She hadn't.

The next day dad got a call from Mom saying that she would be in London for a bit longer. Dad asked her why and there was a muffled reply. Dad's eyes got all watery and after he said bye he sat down at the table. After a few minutes of silence he looked at me, “Katie, I know that you have noticed that your mother and I haven't been getting along very well lately. Well you mom just bought an apartment in London and she filed for a divorce. I thought that we could work this out but.... well I guess she didn't want to.”

“WHAT!” I yelled, “You and mom are perfect! Why didn't she wait it out! Things would get better!”

“Sweetie, I am so sorry. I think that she wanted to go her separate way.” Dad shook his head and looked at the ground.

I ran to the phone and called my best friend Mary and told her everything. She didn't know what to do and neither did I. Why couldn't we go through life without any bumps in the road?

A month later my parents were officially divorced. I wouldn't talk to mom no matter what. She had messed this whole thing up in the first place, as far as I was concerned she wasn't my mother. Dad tried to talk sense, as he called it, in to me but I wouldn't listen. I hated my life.

Two months later I met someone who had it worse then me. His name was Mark and he had the rare quality of being easy to talk to. I told him everything in one meeting, I know I was a bumbling fool but I couldn't help it. No one got what I was going through, not even Mary.

Mark looked at me for a minute then said, “At least you have your Dad. My parents put me in adoption at age six and when I last saw them, they were talking about how glad they were they had gotten rid of me.”

In that instant I knew that no matter how bad you had it, someone had it worse. I called up my mom and forgave her but we still don't talk much. A lesson is learned almost everyday and almost everyday something rings true. In my case that day is almost every minute.

writerofmusic SILVER, Eaton, Colorado

I write what I feel like or when i have inspiration. My inspiration for this little piece wasn't about being an orphan it was when I was in deep trouble and my band teacher shared a story with us that was kind of like the one above or at least with the same message.

JoetheBlanc GOLD, Roswell, Georgia

"the shadow proves the sunshine!"

wow. from the fiction of yours i've read, you tend to like to write aboout orphans. this is a great story, but may i ask why?