frequency | Teen Ink

frequency

By WhiteWidow GOLD, Bakersfield, California
WhiteWidow GOLD, Bakersfield, California

Life is not fair because no one plays fair and survives.

Listening to music with the frequency turned all the way up was fun. I didn't get why it bothered him so much.

"They sound like those annoying chipmunks," Paul complained. "It sounds like it could be used in psycho therapy."

I rolled my eyes at him. I was currently listening to 30H3.

"And I thought we were supposed to be researching for our research paper, not listening to music on Yahoo!" Paul wasn't yelling.

I sighed, cranked up the volume. *How's this for psycho therapy?*

"You better not make me fail, Holly," he loudly went on. "My parent's aren't gonna be cool when I come home with an F."

I glanced back at him, raised an eyebrow, then returned to the computer… typed in a search for something Santogold. I moved the frequency to normal for 'Starstruck.' If only it were that simple.

"What was that look for? I'm the one doing all the work."

*Ask, you jerk. Ask!*

"This better not be your time of the month or anything…. Is it?"

*Not that, idiot.*

I sighed.

"Seriously, Holly. Go into Google and type in… 'engine carburetors.' And see if you can find a picture too. A detailed one--no, better yet, Bing it."

I mentally cursed Paul's name and opened up another window. After two minutes, I found what he needed--and my song had ended--and I printed it out (what he needed). I exited Bing, then went back to my music, typing in a search for Florence + The Machine.

"You're quiet, aren't you?" I heard him retrieve the printed merchandise.

I smirked humorlessly. *Picked up on that, did you?* 'Cosmic Love' started to play.

"What's up?" Just as I was about turn, Paul goes, "Shoot. It's a text from my Mom. I gotta go." As he gathered his stuff, I turned to him. He glanced at me saying, "You already know what to look for. Tomorrow bring what you find to class, and we'll piece it together before we turn it in. Bye." Paul rushed out the door.

*Ah, Paul! You stupid jerk!!!

I love you….*

Again... like many of my other works... I just winged it.