Resposibility | Teen Ink

Resposibility

By FunFace GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia
FunFace GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia

"Z is for zed which is for fred which is for harry potter which is for couldron, DUH" -My friend and I

The Little Brown Box
‘Pass me those matches’ my sister says, ‘I want to light a candle’. No, I think, but I pass her the little brown box.
The flame flares and the wick ignites. It dances like a fairy in her little cupped hands.
The candle tips gently. She screams.
That night she sleeps with tears in her eyes and, her bandaged hands on her blanket. I rip up those stupid matches.

Protection
My little brother trusts me with all his heart, and I never lie to him.
‘Why can’t we go in there?’ he asks me pointing to the locked kitchen door. I never lie to him, but sometimes he needs protection.
‘Mommy and Daddy are busy’ I lie, I don’t tell him they are fighting. He doesn’t need to lie awake listening to their arguments. He can stay a baby.

Please
Three quick knocks.
It’s time.
I fly down the stairs careful not to wake my sister or parents. She is standing there. Her little arms crossed defensively.
‘Don’t’ she says strong and steady. I try to push past, but she wont move, ‘I’ll tell’ she says.
Outside I see them, bags filled with bottles. They beckon. I long to go.
‘Please’ she begs.
I hate her, but I stop.

This is something i had to write for an english class. We had to write three stories that were 69 words each and linked by a type of responsibility. I hope you enjoy these!! And please comment!

FunFace GOLD said...

I hope Mr. H thinks so.  They were for English and we haven't gotten our grades back yet!

Cheekymonkey GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia

“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. but the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. i'll always be with you.”

I love them. they are short and sweet :)