Oh, Wine. | Teen Ink

Oh, Wine.

By Odessa_Sterling00 DIAMOND, No, Missouri
Odessa_Sterling00 DIAMOND, No, Missouri

All gave some, some gave all. -War Veterans headstone.

The dark sky darkens with every step I take down the sidewalk. It was a rainy day all day. I stop at the cross walk in the crowd of people of all different types. A pregnant woman dressed in a professional looking suit. A tall man dressed in khaki shorts and a knit beanie hat. His curl red hair hung to his shoulders. There was group of three girls, friends I assumed, gossiping loudly. The wore jean shorts and cute graphic tee’s. The red hand changed to the walk sign. The crowd lurched forward across the street. My apartment building came into sight. Big fat raindrops started to fall by the time I climbed up the steps. Mike, the door man, held the door for me.

“Hurry, hurry young lady, or you’ll get wet,” he smiled at me, his graying hair combed nicely.

“Thanks, Mike,” I waved at him as I started up the stairs to the fourth floor. The narrow hallway felt almost like a maze, turning in odd directions. I got to the door at the end of the hallway, my apartment. The door was unlocked, so I didn’t bother digging my key from my bag. Inside, I admired the glamorous furniture and layout. My mom was all for expensive looking stuff. She was curled up on the couch in Victoria Secret pajama pants and a tank top. Her golden brown hair, like my own, hung loosely to her shoulders. She was watching a movie.

“Hey, sweetie. How was school?” She asked as I walked past her.

“Ok, I guess, boring really,” I stepped into the kitchen. A TV dinner trash was on the floor by the trash can. I picked it up and tossed it in to the trash can. On the counter by the trash can, was a half empty bottle of red wine. My mom liked wine. I glanced back out in the living room. My mom was absorbed in her movie. I grabbed a glass from the cabinet and poured a little in my cup. I always had secret drinks, which I loved. Drinking wine felt so grown up to me. I had to wait till she opened a bottle, and drank some of it before I could sneak any. I sat the bottle down quietly, and then sipped the wine in my glass. The bitter taste swished around in my mouth before sliding down my throat. I finished the glass, washed it out thoroughly, and filled it with a little water. Setting it by the sink, I walked back to living room.

“Do you have homework?” My mom asked without looking up. I could see her wine glass on the coffee table in front of her.

“No. Do you want me to take your glass to the kitchen,” I pointed to her wine glass, half empty.

“Sure, just wash it out in the sink.” She glanced at me.

I picked up the glass gingerly and hurried back into the kitchen, where I drank down the wine greedily, then washing the glass out. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand. I walked past my mom in the living room to my room, a small one just off the living room with it’s own tiny bathroom. The cheery blue paint on the walls matched my beach-y bedspread.

I walked into my bathroom. My bathroom was pretty plain, except for colorful accents I out in there. I brushed my teeth with extreme whiting strength. My mouth wash burned my tongue and I sit it out. I washed it all away. Oh, wine.

Please comment.

Odessa_Sterling00 DIAMOND, No, Missouri

Over 120 views!  Thanks everyone!