Death From Angels | Teen Ink

Death From Angels

By JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

The world was in slow motion, as I stared at the picture held up to the sunlight. I couldn’t feel anything, not grief, denial, or anger, just numbness. In the movies and books, I should be waging wars, or trying to argue that they were wrong. This is life, not a movie, not a book, not even a dream.
But it would be nice, ‘cause in the end everyone would be happy, and I would be an inspiration for others. I stared at the picture of my head, the part that I couldn’t see, and much less feel. The part that I always forgot was there… my brain. A big white mass that shouldn’t be there seemed to be staring at me. The numbness was subsiding, and I felt something like a spark growing deep within my core. I shifted my gaze to the guy holding the picture. He was in white, all white, for a second I imagined wings sticking out of his back.
“Your daughter has a Glioblastoma multiforme; it has been growing for quite awhile now. She has 17 months at the most, 12 the least.” I wished that he would drop the smile, he was too calm, they all were…like angels.
I hope that when I’m dead, he can see all the blood in his money. The heated feeling now surrounded my heart, and was creeping up my throat. I didn’t feel numb anymore, and it was terrible. I felt helpless and weak, like I couldn’t control my own body. I was being invaded, and I remember the invasion, skillful, and subtle at first.
It started with headaches, so what, headaches were common, and so I popped Tylenol. Then grades started to plummet, it wasn’t that I wouldn’t concentrate, it was just that I simply couldn’t. Then just this morning I couldn’t walk straight because of a mammoth sized migraine. Every breath was like an explosion. I threw up all over my bed about five times. My mom found me sobbing, and curled up with my head between my knees. Like I was for an hour.
It was really quiet, my mom and step-dad were clutching each other by my bedside. “Can’t you cut it out?” My step-dad asked in a pleading tone. The question gave me a surge of hope.
“No, I’m sorry, the Glioblastoma is too close to the brainstem, and goes too deep for removal. Any attempts could risk: paralysis, -----,” I cut him off, tired of the calmness.
“So what, no matter how many big words you throw at me, I’m still dying, now get out of here right the heck now!!!” at first I was whispering, and then my voice gradually rose in hysteria. I glared at them as they left, high stride and all. When they were out of sight my mom immediately started the blaming.
“Lizzie I’m so sorry, I should’ve brought you in sooner, right when your behavior was changing, but I thought it was a stage. It’s my fault!” I tried comforting her by telling her it wasn’t hers or anyone’s fault, she didn’t give any evidence that she believed me. I eventually convinced my parents to go and eat. When I couldn’t see them, I literally collapsed into the pillows.
My thoughts ran wild. Oh my God, I’m dying. I’m only 15, I’ve barely lived. I haven’t had my first kiss. I haven’t had my first boyfriend. God, what did I do to deserve this, then out of nowhere a thought floated through my head: you know what you did. That’s right… the memory resurfaced, and I didn’t want it. I’m really sorry Mattie
I was 10, my mom and real-dad adopted a six year old girl named Mattie, we had her for three months, and I was jealous. She tried to get along with me, and I kept pushing her off. Then one day… she was gone, we never found her. Eventually that led up to my parent’s divorce.
I buried myself in the blankets and pillows, and cried until the room was full of the sound of guilt I’ve been holding in for years. See Lizzie, that’s what you get, this is what happens when karma comes back. When the air under the covers got musty, I resurfaced. A completely random memory popped into my head. I was 5, and it was a normal doctor’s visit.
A doctor, she had glowing blond hair, which reminded me of a halo. Her complexion was fair, and her blue eyes sparkled. She was crouched at my height handing me a lollipop, and telling me how good I did. I even asked if she was an angel, she laughed showing her pearly white teeth. When she left, her pristine white coat brushed my face, and I smelled a light scent of lavender smelling cleaners. Then, I was sure that all doctors were angels, I grimly gazed out the window. Back then I didn’t know that death was delivered by angels.

Can you please comment when you read this. Thank you! :D

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

If you could read my novel, 'Romeo and Juliet--A Parody' that would be awesome!

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thanks alot!!!!! Anything of yours you'd like to read???? :D

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thank you so much!!!!! :D Anything of yours you'd like me to read? ;)

WritingSpasms, Los Angeles, California

"Devils run when a good man goes to war."
- River Song from Doctor Who (Ep. A Good Man Goes to War)

I really like it because I can feel the emotion. And the introduction flowed with the rest of the story line. Keep it up! :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

That's such a sad story!  I really felt the emotion and you had just the right balance between sappiness and reality.  The part about the six-year-old was kind of random, but somehow it fits into the story.  You did an amazing job.

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thank you so much!!!! anything of yours you'd like me to read? :D ;))

I thought this story was amazing. And I felt like the part about the adopted sister was not random, but an interesting layer of the story/character of Lizzy. And the way that you brought in the part of the doctor when Lizzy was little really tied the title in with the content of the story and added a lot of depth. Great job!!!!

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Okay thank you, sorry about the randomness:P  Thanks for the feedback!!!!! :D

AddictedToWriting BRONZE, La Grande, Oregon

"Writer's Block is when your characters get fed up with all you put them through and go on strike." -- Anonomous
"A Writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people."--Thomas Mann

Very good job with the emotion here.  A lot of writers have trouble finding that equilibrium between so dry, but completely comprehensive, and hugely emotional, but senseless.  You found it perfectly.  Good job!

I did think the part about the six-year-old was a little random.  You should probably either cut it out or elaborate more on that.  It would have been a pretty big guilt trip, and if she's saying it's karma because of that, it would be a pretty big section on her feeling bad about it.

Other than that, good job!

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thank you,  yeah I felt alot of emotion when I was writing it.  I was hoping that the emotion would turn out right.  Thanks for your feedback.  Can you please look at my other stuff and both comment and rate.  If there's anthing you want me to read just tell me.  Thank you!!! :D

alex198 said...
alex198, |, Other
I loved it!!! It was so sad, I thought you got the emotion in this piece across really well. It was really good :)

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thank you so much!!!!!

Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

Whoa! This is awesome! I love the way you introduced the story, and it flowed really well. At first, I was a little confused as to what was happening, but I read on, and now my confusion's gone. :) I really love the doctors-are-like-angels thing. I thought it fit really well, and you weaved it in amazingly. Overall, great job. Keep up the good work!!!