Golden Escape | Teen Ink

Golden Escape

August 3, 2011
By Odessa_Sterling00 DIAMOND, No, Missouri
Odessa_Sterling00 DIAMOND, No, Missouri
87 articles 108 photos 966 comments

Favorite Quote:
All gave some, some gave all. -War Veterans headstone.


I run my fingers along the edges of the door, wishing there was some kind of secret button that would unlock it and set me free. You’re sitting in your arm chair in the corner of the medium sized cabin. I move to the locked shutters over the windows, searching them, too. You sigh nosily and I turn to glare at you.

You are only a couple years older than me, but your body is covered in muscles, and if I weren’t held captive by you, I would think you’re pretty cute. You have a boyish haircut and dark brown hair.

“Jane, please. You can’t get out, come sit with me.” He motions for me, ignoring my glare. I decide to ignore him, too. Irritating him is all I can do. I run my fingers along the bottom sill and I hear him stand abruptly and stomp over to me. I tense, afraid he will hurt me.

His hand grips my other wrist, spinning me around and I stumble, but manage to stay standing. He stares down on me, anger in his eyes.

“You know, Jane, I could kill you, whenever I want.” I know that, I fear it every day. I say nothing and just look away. He lets go and steps back. His eyes fill with disgust as he looks me up and down. He mumbles vulgar names at me as he storms away towards the door.

I hate when he leaves, not because I like when he’s around, but I never know when he will come back. He leaves me no food, and I fear I will starve to death.

“Goodnight, Jane.” He replies as he unlocks the door and slams it shut behind him. I here the key slid in, but the usual click never comes. I hear his car drive away and after a few moments I test the door. It swings inwardly silently. I feel tears well up inside of me.

The key is left in the door, and I wonder if he wanted to me leave, or he was just stupid and forgot it there. I hurried down the narrow dirt road, through the trees as the setting sun cast a golden glow around me.


The author's comments:
Really short story, thanks if you read it!