Optimism | Teen Ink

Optimism

August 18, 2011
By meganwagner21 PLATINUM, Old Bridge, New Jersey
meganwagner21 PLATINUM, Old Bridge, New Jersey
42 articles 0 photos 139 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes good things have to fall apart so better things can fall together." -Marilyn Monroe
"Nobody can go back and make a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -Maria Robinson


Thunder rolling, lightning striking. I don’t really care at this point. I choose to lay here, mesmerized by what I see above me. Most people think that lying on a rooftop as a former hurricane approaches is not a good idea, but I’m not most people. I like to think that I’m happier than most people. I don’t have many problems, and when I do, they’re miniscule. But, somehow, people seem to think that I have a knack for solving problems. I mean, just because my advice has helped numerous people fix their dilemmas doesn’t make me a genius or anything. I can’t argue, though, that when someone calls me back a week or two after I’ve tried to help them and they tell me how much better everything is; that’s the greatest feeling in the world. But once in a while, when things don’t necessarily work out, I like to get away from it all. Roofs seem to relax me the most. I mean, the views are always great, no matter where you are. And the approaching lightning storm? Even better than just a roof. It adds interest.

Since problems seem to find me no matter what I do (and none of them are mine), I’ve become a pretty optimistic person. The kind of person who always sees the glass half full, you know? That’s mean. I wasn’t always this way, but I find that once you go optimism, you never go back. You can never be too happy in my opinion. While you may not have everything others have, you have one thing they can’t touch – happiness. And if you see the light in the dark tunnel, you have so much more to offer others. It’s the sharing of joy. And I wouldn’t trade that for all the money or material items in the world.


The author's comments:
inspired by glee's "Lean on Me"