Just Plain Jane | Teen Ink

Just Plain Jane

October 11, 2011
By Kristen Kole BRONZE, Pompton Plains, New Jersey
Kristen Kole BRONZE, Pompton Plains, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was the first time I saw him in three months. We had gone a whole summer without any contact. After everything that happened between us within the past year, it was hard to believe I didn’t faint. Seeing him stand there, was the worst feeling I could ever have felt. It’s hard to believe that after everything you share with a person, no matter how special, you can still stop, and walk right past them. Sad to say, that’s exactly what happened to me on my first day back to school junior year.

The best thing that ever happened to me was standing there. I stood there motionless as my best friend was trying to tell me about her summer. We locked eyes and for me, it was impossible to look away.
“Jane, you’re not listening,” Dawn said.
As she hit me she broke the trance he and I seemed to be in. I managed to look away from his eyes and back into the real world. I was shocked how out of it I was. Dawn continued and I paid attention as I should, but I couldn’t help but think about what had just happened.

That past summer had been, different. Everything that could have happened did. During the previous school year I had met the most amazing guy in the world, been loved, cheated on, gained everything, and then lost it all. After my heart had been broken, I met someone else who showed me how amazing life could be, took risks, and ended up here, with my life as a mystery. I had my best friends at my side with a boyfriend that wasn’t always around. His name was Wess. All I can say is that he’s probably the most entertaining guy you will ever meet. We had hung out all summer and created a friendship that I know will last forever. However, it’s funny how wrong you can be about a person.

But back to the story, the bell rang and it was time to go to homeroom and get our classes. I sat down and my friend Anne sat next to me. Anne and I had known each other since kindergarten but it wasn’t until this past summer we become very good friends. We started to talk and suddenly, I heard a voice I recognized.
“Funny seeing you here”
I turned around in my chair to see him, Jake, the boy that broke my heart, sit down behind me. Anne rolled her eyes and kept talking to me as if he weren’t there because she knew how complicated our relationship was. I just smiled. I soon realized that there was a teacher in the room. She had written her name on the bored. Mrs. Apple it had said. I laughed to myself and thought what a typical name it was for a teacher. She looked middle aged and quite unique. Her blouse was purple and the skirt she wore went down to her knees.
“Welcome, welcome to our classroom!” she said with excitement.

As the talking from the rest of the class stopped, she continued. I always hated how teachers waited obnoxiously to receive our attention, although this time it was not as rude, so I didn’t mind.
“As you can see,” she pointed to the bored, “my name is Mrs. Apple. I will be your homeroom teacher. You will be coming here every morning so that I will be able to take attendance and you will have time to get settled. I also, might have the pleasure to have some of you for English, or English Honors. Now I will pass out your schedules.”

As I received mine, I noticed I was in English Honors. My mother, a reading teacher, made sure I loved to write and read so I wasn’t surprised. I saw that Mrs. Apple was my teacher.
“What are your classes like?” Anne said as she nudged me.
I handed her my schedule to compare classes. We were in most of the same, which we were happy about. We both had English with Mrs. Apple first. The bell rang and everyone hurried out of their desks and onto their first class. I noticed that Jake didn’t move.
“Isn’t there somewhere you need to be?” I said as I turned around to face him.
“Nope, saying right here.”

Great, I thought to myself. First period everyday I’d have to see this kid. It was going to be a long year.


The author's comments:
This is the first chapter in a story I'm writing about how it's always hard to get over a past relationship.