What hurts the most | Teen Ink

What hurts the most

By jazzerlover BRONZE, Keeseville, New York
jazzerlover BRONZE, Keeseville, New York

Maxwell Smart: I think it's only fair to warn you, this facility is surrounded by a highly trained team of 130 Black Op Snipers.
Siegfried: I don't believe you.
Maxwell Smart: Would you believe two dozen Delta Force Commandos?
Siegfried: No.
Maxwell Smart: How about Chuck Norris with a BB gun?

I listen to my iPod while I lay on my bed looking up at my ceiling wishing that things were different. I had a bad day at school that day; I missed the bus to school which meant that my mom had to drive me to school which would make her yell at me all the way to school. I had to sign in, and go to my first period; which I missed an exam in, my teacher told me that I could only make it up during my lunch, great I thought. I put my headphone into my ears and continue the rest of the day like this. Nothing got better.
I had to take that test or else I would fail, so I did take it. Half way thru the test my guidance councilor came into the room and asks to speak to the teacher. The teacher told me that he had to leave the room and he told me not to cheat. Like I was going to do that; I rolled my eyes and continued on with my test. By the time I finished my test my teacher had come back into the room and you can see that he had been crying. I look up at him, what a weird man, I said in my head as I shook my head as I finished my test. I get up out of my chair and walk the test over to my teacher, who was still crying.

“Thank you Miss Cena,” he said looking up at me; you could see the tears start to form again when he looked back at me. “The guidance councilor is waiting outside in the hallway for you.” He said as he looked at my test. I look at my test just as one of his tear drops on my paper. Gross I think to myself as he wipes the liquid off my paper.

I walk out into the hallway to see that my counselor Mrs. Arts was waiting for me, she had been crying today. Man, crying must be contagious; I said to myself as I follow the crying councilor down the hallway. We walk into the main office; I couldn’t tell if I was in trouble or not. I sat down in one of the more comfy chairs as I looked out the window. I notice that there were two cop car parked in front of the school. Must be a drug bust today, poor Jimmy is going to get busted. I started to giggle, and then I look into the principal’s office and see that the cops were in her office.

“Sahara, I mean, Miss Cena, will you please come into my office.” The principle, Mrs. Jostens, asked me.

“Sure,” I said as I got out of my set, grabbed my backpack and went into her office.

“Sahara, these are Officers Wiremold, and Officer Tutuola, they are here because...” Mrs. Jostens put her hand on her face and started to cry a little. One of the Officers takes over.

“Sahara, I am Officer Wiremold, we are here to tell you that there has been a really bad accident.” He said as he looked over to his partner as if he wasn’t sure as what to do next.

“I’ll take over. My name is Officer Tutuola; we are here, as my partner said, because there has been an accident.” He said as pointed to his partner. I looked at the other Officer and saw that he had started to cry. Man what is with people now a day, they can’t keep their emotions together. “It involves your mom’s car. Now, did your mom drive you to school today?” He asked me.

I had a blank look on my face, my principle, once again started to cry. Man these people are pathetic.
“Yes, my mother drove me to school today, I missed the bus.” I told the Officer. I didn’t know what to think. Was my mom really in an accident? Was it really my fault? “Is my mom ok?” I asked the cop as I look all over the room to stop from getting to nervous.
“Did your mother have anything to drink this morning?” Officer Tutuola asked me.
“Yes she had coffee like she always does. Why are you asking me these questions?” I asked the Officers.
“Your mother has been in a really bad accident, and she was rushed to the hospital.” he said looking at me. “We are still waiting for them to give us an update. The last thing that I heard was that she was in surgery.”
“What! How bad of an accident was it?” I screamed at the Officers. I understand that they were just trying to do their jobs, and yelling at them was not making it any easier for them.
I started to cry, Man t h is was the last thing I wanted to do today. My principle came over and put her hand on my shoulder. I pulled away from her and started to ball my eyes out. I didn’t understand what was going on. My mother, the woman that had raised me from the time I was conceived, to just a couple of hours ago.
“I want to go see her,” I shouted at the Officers, she was my mother; I had to be there for her.
“We’ll take you to see her after you calm down, we are not…” Officer Wiremold told me until I interrupted him.
“I am not going to calm down until you bring me to my mother.” I told them as I stood up. I was getting angry; my mother said that I was as stubborn as an Ox when I got angry. She said that I was like that since the day I was born, and then she would laugh at me and pat my head.
“Ok, let’s get going before the students see you leaving in a cop car.” Officer Tutuola said as he picked up my backpack off the floor. He motioned for his partner to lead the way to the car, we piled into the car and we headed right to the hospital that my mother was at.
I put my headphones into my ear, turned on my iPod and started to listen to my music. The song that was playing was a sad song, fits the situation, I said as I sort of smiled and looked out the window. This part of the song just stood out the most to me. It goes what hurts the most was being so close and having so much to say watching it all walk away and never knowing what could have been and not seeing that loving you is what I was trying to do, this is like what was happening with me and my mother.
We finally get to the hospital; the cop opened my door, and I go running right into the hospital. I start to walk all over the place, when all of a sudden I saw my father standing, waiting, for me. I ran over to my father and started to ball my eyes out.
“Everything is going to be okay.” My father said as I heard his voice start to crack. Then all of a sudden he was crying just like me.
“Where’s Jessica?” I asked my father. Jessica was my little sister; she was 5 years old, and she oblivious to the world.
“She is over with Aunt Tracy, she doesn’t know anything about what happened to your mother.” He said as if to tell me that I should be the one to tell her since she responded to everything I said a lot better than when father said it.
“Ok I will explain it to her the next time I see her.” I said to my father, you could see the stress vanish from his face after I told him I was going to tell Jessica. I really didn’t think that he could handle telling her the information anyway.
“Mr. Cena?” the doctor came over to us and put his hand on my father’s shoulder. The doctor had little streams of blood on his scrubs; this was the doctor that was working on my mother. “I have some bad news,” he paused for a minute “Your wife, and your mother, is dead.” He said as he had this sympathetic look on his face.
“What? What happened? You just told me that she was doing well.” My father started to yell at the doctor.
“She was fine. We don’t know what happened. I’m sorry for your loss.”The doctor said to us both and then he walked away.
I was lying on my bed, had my face shoved into a pillow, listening to my iPod, when that song came on again. This really did hurt the most, and I was so upset. I turned up the music, and tuned out the world.

This peace is based on the song "What Hurts the Most" by the Rascal Flatts. We had to interpret the song, and this is how I did that.