In the Library | Teen Ink

In the Library

November 26, 2011
By S.S.Y. GOLD, Toronto, Other
S.S.Y. GOLD, Toronto, Other
19 articles 2 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
"After all, tomorrow is another day" -- Scarlett O'Hara

"It is the east, and Juliet is the sun!" -- Romeo

"I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it." -- Stephen Leacock


She was looking out the window, back facing the shelves of books.

“What do you think?” he said quietly. She didn't bother to turn around.

“I can't think – I don't know what to think,” she replied in a whisper. Thin teardrops filled her eyes. “I mean...really!”

“But if she wants to...isn't it wrong to interfere?”

She spun around, nose red and eyes swollen.

“How could you say that? Don't you love her? She's our best friend!”

“But she's in so much pain...I think she'd be happier...you'd want her to be happy, right?”

“How could she be happy if she's not even here! And what about us? Her family...what about Gavin?”

“Don't be selfish. She'd be miserable if she stayed. She'd be an empty body...”

“We can help. We can make her happy. That's what friends are for...we can't let her go...think of your conscience. Would you ever forgive yourself – ”

“Self! Self!” he shouted suddenly. “All you think about is what you'll feel! What about how she feels? I tell you: she feels nothing right now. Nothing! She's hardly even a person...she...” his voice trailed off.

She sat down. “She used to have such pretty eyes. But – I can't,” she sighed and looked away. “Se could do so much...what about her goal of changing the world, what about making a difference?”

He shook his head. “It's her life.”

“But we need her – I need her. She's my best friend.”

“I know. Me too.”