Unexpected | Teen Ink

Unexpected

By paige14 GOLD, Portsmouth, Ohio
paige14 GOLD, Portsmouth, Ohio

Say what you need to say--John Mayer

I’m not what you expect. Looking at me 5 years ago, no one would ever predict the person I would become. I was that strange overachiever with frizzy hair and too many skirts. I listened to classical music and was just plain weird. I wore a dress on a field trip to an amusement park one time; I don’t even know what I was thinking.

But now, you wouldn’t even recognize that girl. I was never the girl you expected to listen to Fall Out Boy at volumes I’ll regret when I’m 60 and deaf. I wasn’t the girl you expected to whisper about quick kisses in bathrooms and making out with boyfriends and dreams of sex until late into the night with half a dozen friends. I wasn’t expected to be the girl hiding jagged scars behind the odd combination of short shorts and black t-shirts featuring nerdy jokes that only make sense to book-worms and bibliophiles.

No one expected me to be anything but an overachiever. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m still an overachiever, but that’s not all there is to me anymore. I use SparkNotes on my AP English homework. When I procrastinate on my reading assignments, I just read another book for fun. I go out with my friends on a Saturday night and talk about marching band.

I’m not the cookie cutter nerd anymore. I’m not the frizzy haired overachiever in skirts. I’m just the self-proclaimed nerd with unruly curls and too many shoes.

I’m not what anyone expected. But I’m still me.

Atl.Braves03 BRONZE, Tampa, FL, Florida

God is God and I am not
I can only see a part
Of this picture he's painting
God is God and I am man
I will never understand
Because only God is God

Honestly, I think that's all that can be expected of you. Be yourself, because one thing that I've learned is that once you get into college, it doesn't matter anymore. You can be whoever you want to be and people really don't care :)

Kvothe28 SILVER, Temecula, California

Excuse me while I prepare my impromptu remarks. -Winston Churchill

Tell it like it is, not how it was. -Jonathan

Break it down like a fine English double-gun. -R. Bitoni

I think a lot of people (myself included) struggle with our identity; and I really enjoyed reading this. On a side note, I have Beethoven's ninth on my ipod. =)