Running | Teen Ink

Running

By RLJoy DIAMOND, Glen Rock, New Jersey
RLJoy DIAMOND, Glen Rock, New Jersey

Marissa scrapped her sneaker on the cheap turf. . Her eyes scanned around the colorful field. “Start running,” the coach’s voice echoes throughout the field. Marissa felt the cold breeze as she galloped past two girls in her gym class. She loved to run; it was a way to get away from her family her friends, school work or any of the stressful, intoxicating thoughts. It was as if she were running away from herself; it was her escape. Marissa loved to look around the field as she ran. She loved seeing all the surroundings becoming a blur as if she were in a distant dream.
The gym teacher blew the whistle. Her dream suddenly seemed to come to a halt and so did she. Her classmates surrounding her, breathes were heavy and a wave of complaints could be heard. A boy with brown messy hair and a flushed face said, “Was it really necessary to run two miles??” The teacher ignored the rude comments.
“Everyone can go back and get changed now.” The coach shouted. The kids stampeded across the field and into the building, leaving Marissa the only person left on the field. The smell of sweat overwhelmed the field but Marissa didn’t mind. “Am I the only now who likes to run?” Marissa wondered.