I want to go home. | Teen Ink

I want to go home.

By Honour SILVER, New London, Connecticut
Honour SILVER, New London, Connecticut

Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. ~John 15:13

"Give me liberty or give me death!" ~Patrick Henry

Be brave and steadfast; have no fear or dread of them, for it is the Lord, your God, who marches with you; he will never fail you or forsake you. ~ Deuteronomy 31:6

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" ~ Thomas Jefferson

My hands cover my ears and I crouch in a corner, explosions seem to come from everywhere, people scream, I squeeze my eyes close, and bite my lip, trying to keep the screams from leaping out my throat. My shoulder moves, someone is shaking me, “Sweetie, please, it’s not real, come back.” I hear as if from a distance, and my eyes open, I’m curled up in the corner of my living rom, my wife is shaking me, “Sweetie, it’s OK, you’re safe.” She whispers, there are tears in her eyes, my eyes drift to the ground, I’m breathing hard. “Explosions, we’re not safe here, we have to go!” I exclaim trying to get to my feet, my wife gently pushes me back down, “Finn, honey, we’re fine, we’re safe here sweetie, you’re not in Afghanistan.” She says, she’s about to cry. I shake my head and force myself to stand up, “No, no, there everywhere, you have to watch where you step, we have to go!” I insist, I see fire around us, the explosions must’ve started it, I grab my wife and try to drag her away, “Come!” I order, “Finn, listen to me, it’s not real!” she says pulling back, Please, just sit down, and take a deep breath.” She begs, “No, no!” I yell, I turn and desperately run from the room, out the door, and turn and keep running, I have to, I have to get away from the explosions, the screams, I keep running my vision seems to shift, I see sand, I can’t seem to breath right as I run. Finally I collapse and lean my back against the wall, my chest is heaving. The explosions still boom in the back round, I close my eyes, I just want everything to go away, I want to go home, I want to go home.

1 in 8 of our soldiers come home with PTSD, they can’t leave the war behind them, support our troop, at home and abroad, help our injured soldiers, don’t let them fight alone.

I thank all our past, present, and future fighters, and I pray that they come home safely. If you see a veteran please thank them for serving and remember all that died to protect you, and all soldiers that are injured and hurting.

Our soldiers, sailors, Marines, and airmen fight and die for us, some come home seriously injured, others come home physically but can never mentally or emotionally leave the war. Please remember them in your prayers, and never forget who fights to keep you free!

Honour SILVER said...
Honour SILVER, New London, Connecticut

Phantom, and Liberty, thank your family members for their service for me please!!!

KatelynnGilbert0 BRONZE, Palm Desert, California

"The only thing holding you back is yourself."

Coming from a military brat this really moved me. I hope you continue writing awesome pieces like this!

ccascq BRONZE said...
ccascq BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida
GREAT! 1 thing i saw was back round, if you get published fix to background, just a little help. other than that, GREAT!!

Special-Ice-Apples GOLD, Pinedale, Arizona

"Love is just a word until someone special comes along and gives it a meaning."

"I love walking in the rain, 'cause then no one can tell I'm crying."

"Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain."

*sniffles* How beautiful.....This shows how much the war vets and their families and friends suffer......My Grandpa is a WWII vet, so he has bouts like these sometimes.

Definitely 5 stars. I had a teacher in the military, and hearing the word bomb always freak him out.

Kestrel PLATINUM, Warrenton, Virginia

-There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy. (Shakespeare, Hamlet)

I will. They'll appreciate it I'm sure. :) 

Ms.PeytonLovesHP GOLD, Rancho Cordova, California

“We are all a little weird and life is a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” - Doctor Seuss

Wow. Love it. Five stars. I know friends who have family in the military and my dad tolfd me bout this. Good job.

Honour SILVER said...
Honour SILVER, New London, Connecticut

That's really cool that almost all the guys in your family are Army!! :D :D  Thank your family for me!!!

Kestrel PLATINUM, Warrenton, Virginia

i like this. almost every male in my family has been to west point, going on to be in the military and serving our country. good job!

AngelOnTheATeam PLATINUM, Mountain Home, Arkansas

"No One Ever Gets To Know What Could Have Been."

Very well written and creatively done. My uncles in the Air Force. It hits home for a lot of people, not just me.

carothesparrow GOLD, Lilburn, Georgia

dont give up she will talk someday my friend made this quote she is really cool cause she understands about my sister
it starts with ONE to make a differerence!!! i learned this quote at a leadership camp

ohana means family no one gets left behind

really creative

Johnny99 GOLD said...
Johnny99 GOLD, Newport News, Virginia

A rose and a flame, are just the same.

That was amazing!

nakubara PLATINUM, Belvidere, New Jersey

Everything you do in life is insignificant, but its important you do it anyway ~Ghandi

This is aweome! I dont really know what to say. Good job!

@nime.@ngel BRONZE, Chicopee, Massachusetts

i like the story and plot. it would bo nice to descibe where you and to pause i little llike the person is actually saying it

albinotiger GOLD, Gloucester, Massachusetts

"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win"- Stephen King
“In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate”- Isaac Asimov

This poem speaks the truth!!!! (maybe check out my work sometime)

Varlen-Byrd said...
Varlen-Byrd, Santa Cruz, California

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”

this was a very importent story to tell. it's very important that we Continue surrport our troops even after they return home.

Hayley567 BRONZE, Columbus, Georgia

to never see things in the eyes of a writer, will never be fully seen.

i like this its pretty awesome how you put the visions and stuff in detail and the desperate pleas from the army wife. very good. 

Hannabug GOLD said...
Hannabug GOLD, Winona, Minnesota

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the Divine." Ludwig van Beethoven

Thanks :) 

SkylerMorningstar GOLD, Barrie, Other
really good proud

Honour SILVER said...
Honour SILVER, New London, Connecticut

Falling.Up, thank your brother for his service for me, and I hope he doesn't have to go through anything like this too.