The Invisible Girl | Teen Ink

The Invisible Girl

By Emily_Greene GOLD, Spring Valley, California
Emily_Greene GOLD, Spring Valley, California

I'm no one special. I'm invisible, really. I get decent grades, I'm the "smart" girl that could get straight A's "if only you'd put in the effort". Really, no one notices me. Not even the teachers that write the little 05 comment on my report card that means "A pleasure to have in class". Sometimes I'd like to stand up and scream "Does anyone even know I'm here?"
But I don't scream and they don't know. My voice isn't made for screaming, it's too soft. I'm not fit to be noticed, I'm too pale and awkward and small.
I'm the girl with braces and acne and glasses. The kind no one talks to. I think I would be cute if not for those three things. I'm not ugly; I don't think do. However, I'm not beautiful either. I guess I'm just average.
I'm a target for bullying. Not the melodramatic bullying like in movies or TV shows. The quiet kind. The weird looks in the halls kind. The snickering at my beat up tennis shoes and baggy clothes kind. That kind.
I can't talk to anyone without them making weird faces and saying I'm awkward or weird or crazy. Especially those of the opposite gender.
My weak ankles don't make it much better. I usually manage to fall on or in front of the handful of actually attractive boys at my school and all they can do is smirk and keep walking. Sometimes they even look at me like I'm some pitiful animal.
Which is what makes what happened today even weirder. I was outside by myself, as usual, at lunch and one of the cutest guys at the school sat down next to me. I had just gotten laughed at by some of the girls in class and, I admit, I was crying a bit. I turned away from him so he couldn't see it but he tilted my head toward him and he kissed me.
I thought maybe he did it for a dare, something like "I dare you to kiss the awkward, clumsy, quiet girl." I was getting mad at the idea, but he kissed me again.
He kissed me... He actually kissed me... Twice!

I wrote a rough draft of this maybe three years ago and expanded on it in this version. I hope you like it, it's the story of a girl who doesn't have much confidence but something surprising happens.

Thanks very much, I'm glad you liked it.

GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana

"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

That was really cute. :3 I really enjoyed reading it. :)

on Sep. 25 2012 at 9:33 am
Thanks, please don't forget to rate.

DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

Loved it! I can't think of anything else to say, rather I'll just say I could really relate to her insecurities.

Yeah, I know how you feel. That's why it's under the fiction section. :)

Special-Ice-Apples GOLD, Pinedale, Arizona

"Love is just a word until someone special comes along and gives it a meaning."

"I love walking in the rain, 'cause then no one can tell I'm crying."

"Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain."

Lucky girl. I totally get the self esteem problems, but no guy would come up and kiss me, dare or not.